I'm Very Tired of Matches. What Is the Best to Replace Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I started with matches, tried a Zippo pipe lighter for a short while, and went back to matches. Not sure why the Zippo didn't work out for me. I was having to draw too hard to get a good light, especially after half a bowl.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
In my experience, if you let the Zippo burn a few seconds before lighting up the tobacco there was no fuel taste.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m very new to pipe smoking, and I started out with matches. They’re fine for what they are, and I feel like we should all learn the art of lighting with matches in case we have no other option. Having said that... pipes can be hard to keep lit sometimes in my experience. And if you’re struggling with re lights, matches are a royal pain in the ass after a while. I just bought a lighter a couple days ago and my pipe smoking enjoyment has increased by 1000% and that is not an exaggeration. I bought a Kiribi Kabuto Mizo and I’m head over heels. The quality and craftsmanship are outstanding. It takes regular old butane and it lights like a champ. If you’re going to buy a lighter that you depend on, buy a good one. That’s my philosophy with anything that you’ll use all the time. Pony up the dough once and enjoy the hell out of it for years to come. Seriously, i HIGHLY recommend the Kiribi’s. All around an excellent buy. I had sticker shock but it’s immediately obvious when you use one that it’s a worthy investment. Just my two cents.

franbo

Lurker
Dec 21, 2018
I’m old school. Lighter only when driving. I swear by Swan Vestas 3 inch wooden matches otherwise. Made in Sweden with no sulpher taste.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All butane here, many types. When sitting and if nearby, I use a match for initial light, and lighters thereafter.
Olk- If you practice at home while watching the lighter, you can find the spot where it's in the right position to light. Just remember that, and you don't have to take your eyes off the road for a second.

wendell

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
well.. I like matches but find myself useing a bic lighter.. So I went got me a butane insert from that thunderbird company for my zippo ... I agree lighter fluid is nasty .. and ruins the tobacco. but some claim that if you use zippo brand lighter fluid then it is not.. I don't know .. I think matches offer the least amount of change to the tobacco's taste.. one of these sunny days I want to try a magnifying glass just for the fun of it..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You could always try this older method:
SqzVELX.jpg

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
You strike a match & don't let it burn for a moment & you taste sulfur or whatever it is.

Same with a Zippo, don't let it burn for a moment, fuel taste.

One needs to wait..for a moment.

No after taste.

Mar 1, 2014
Wow that looks perfect!

Good grief I don’t know why I never thought of using a steel rod before.
I can run Propane all year long (Propane is one of the only torch fuels that works in winter) but getting that energy into the pipe in a form that won’t destroy everything is always the problem. A heated coil may be the perfect transfer method.
The only better option I can think of right now is a high power laser.

Mar 1, 2014
Ohh, now here’s an idea.

Take a countertop induction cooker and mount it upside down underneath a shelf or table near your favorite smoking chair.

Drop a 1/4” ball bearing in your tobacco.
Then all you have to do is wave the pipe underneath the induction cooker to heat the ball bearing.

Using this method it may very well be possible to smoke a pipe with no fire, theortically attaining the perfect smoke (atomization of contents in the leaf without combustion).

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
A peanut lighter is the closest thing to a match. Great control over the flame and nimble in the fingers. I highly recommend them. They don't work well outdoors though.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Matches 8 6 0 damnit every time i see the word matches i think of his youtube anyone watched his videos lol

Status
Not open for further replies.