Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Congratulations. I assume they are pets and will be named? 8 is one too many to name after the members of Snow White's protection agency.
The ones that were just born? No, they are future dinners, they won't get names.

The four adults that are named, yes are pets and for breeding. However, they're spoiled as hell and treated like pets. Their hutches are relatively massive (like 12-13 feet long, 3 to 3.5 feet wide, 6 feet tall), there's a whole sectioned off part of the yard where we planted grasses they can eat, put ramps and tunnels and they all get to play in the yard almost every day.

I assume they're happy, they all do "binkies" all the time.

The plan is to always have two does and at least one buck. The breeding schedule is planned to be longer between litters because we're just trying to have only enough for just us to eat. It's not a business, we're not selling meat or rabbits or anything, we're not even trying to just break even. And we try to use everything and not waste. We use a bolt for humane, instant death. The ears and livers become treats for the dogs. I have no use for the pelts, and would try to sell them to help offset the cost of keeping rabbits, but I don't feel like getting a license or processing pelts.

But even the grow-outs for harvesting will have an easy life for the 2-4 months they will live. They don't get treated any different from the keepers, other than not getting names.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
We didn't intend for this to happen. Nadja and Laszlo ended up in the same run on a few occasions and they ended up breeding. Well, we weren't sure if they had or not, but I guess we're sure now.

This is Nadja's first litter, so we don't know how she's going to do or how many will make it, but there's 8 right now and they're all alive.

View attachment 274637View attachment 274638View attachment 274639

Oh gosh they're so precious. I am eating meat right now but rabbit is one for me that I just find too cute too eat. If I was starving I could. Totally fine too for others (just letting people know my personal preference doesn't equate to a moral stance).

Reactions: sardonicus87

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My Grandma always talked about how when my Dad sold his 4H steer he went straight to figuring out his profit, when his younger brother sold his he’d cry. I’d be more like my uncle, lol.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
The ones that were just born? No, they are future dinners, they won't get names.

The four adults that are named, yes are pets and for breeding. However, they're spoiled as hell and treated like pets. Their hutches are relatively massive (like 12-13 feet long, 3 to 3.5 feet wide, 6 feet tall), there's a whole sectioned off part of the yard where we planted grasses they can eat, put ramps and tunnels and they all get to play in the yard almost every day.

I assume they're happy, they all do "binkies" all the time.

The plan is to always have two does and at least one buck. The breeding schedule is planned to be longer between litters because we're just trying to have only enough for just us to eat. It's not a business, we're not selling meat or rabbits or anything, we're not even trying to just break even. And we try to use everything and not waste. We use a bolt for humane, instant death. The ears and livers become treats for the dogs. I have no use for the pelts, and would try to sell them to help offset the cost of keeping rabbits, but I don't feel like getting a license or processing pelts.

But even the grow-outs for harvesting will have an easy life for the 2-4 months they will live. They don't get treated any different from the keepers, other than not getting names.
As long as they are cooked properly :)

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Due to the severe storm and tornado risk, had to bring the rabbits inside. We ended up getting 1.5" diameter hail and some rough wind.

Anyway, took the opportunity to catch a video. They opened their eyes yesterday, and today they are 12 days old. One of the four is hiding.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123