PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Mine were producing far more than I could eat lol.
Well, we keep them separate, we planned on scheduling breeding just to meet our needs and if we end up with larger litters beyond our needs, trade some with my mother for lamb and stuff (my mother and her husband have a farm where they raise all kinds of stuff, we just only do rabbits, and we only do that because I've developed a pretty bad intolerance to poultry meat and they don't sell rabbit at the store here, and ordering it online is stupid expensive).

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I used to raise rabbits for meat. Make sure she stays alone and has plenty of food and water and protein. If she doesn't get that and a quiet space she will eat her babies.
Oh yeah, she's got plenty. And the pens are much more secure than they were back when they hooked up.

This is also why we're raising rabbits as well (for meat).
I also raised rabbits for meat many years ago. My kids and I would eat the meat, my wife...no way. One morning, I went out to check on the kits and the doe killed them all. It was a bloody massacre. After about two years, I gave up...too much effort for me.

Reactions: El Capitán

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Love the names! 🧛‍♂️🧛‍♀️
Yes, that pair are Giant Chinchilla x New Zealand crosses. We have two others, a doe named Willow that's a standard Chinchilla x New Zealand cross and a buck named Oz that's a black otter Rex.

And I'll just say that Laszlo's name is very fitting for him. That boy is wildly incorrigible and horny as all get out.

Willow and Oz:
received_3406859616230842.jpegreceived_1037077657529112.jpeg

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
I also raised rabbits for meat many years ago. My kids and I would eat the meat, my wife...no way. One morning, I went out to check on the kits and the doe killed them all. It was a bloody massacre. After about two years, I gave up...too much effort for me.
Yeah, there isn't alot of pay off. Reason I moved to goats. I have two types of goats: pets and food lol.

Reactions: scloyd

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Well, half died over night the first night. This is her first litter, but as of day 2, she figured it out and started pulling fur and nesting and feeding them. The remaining 4 are thriving.

And yeah, we don't go mess with them at all, wife just looks in on them once a day in the morning to make sure they're doing OK whenever she's in there to refill their water and hay.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Wishing the parents well!!
The momma rabbit seems happier than she's ever been. Then again, I would be too if I were no longer being chased by horny boys, wasn't actively pregnant, and wasn't suffering any longer from coccidia.

Meantime, I have to build a grow-out pen, which I wasn't ready to do. Luckily, I have maybe 6 weeks to get it done.

Reactions: kcghost