PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys, I have this little IM Corona lighter and I have noticed something odd. I bleed it and refill it, and right after that I readjust the flame to my desire. A few days after that the flame shrinks considerably, and no matter how much I turn the flame adjustment screw the flame won't get larger. Now I know it should have butane ... I just filled it, but when the flame shrinks and I try to bleed it again there is hardly any butane coming out the butane valve. It is almost like it leaks, but I cannot hear any leackage as I put the lighter next to my ear after filling it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
once you fill it take out the flint and put it in water.. see if it bubbles.
otherwise you might not be getting it filled.. do you take the nozzle on/off a few times as you do it?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and madox07

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
once you fill it take out the flint and put it in water.. see if it bubbles.
otherwise you might not be getting it filled.. do you take the nozzle on/off a few times as you do it?

Is it safe to put it in water? Won't the springs catch any rust, or I don't know ... the gaskets won't get damaged?
Purge it before filling. Sounds like you have air in the tank.

Yes I do purge it, I purge it completely, than shake it a bit more, than purge again, until no hissing air comes out anymore.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Water shouldn’t hurt anything besides the flint. Obviously blow the lighter off with compressed air after so water isn’t inside any crevices.

also when you fill it... try opening the lid as you start to fill it... then close the lid and fill the rest of the way. This forces the gas up out the top. Might have an air lock.

Also try opening the lid as you purge it.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Water shouldn’t hurt anything besides the flint. Obviously blow the lighter off with compressed air after so water isn’t inside any crevices.

also when you fill it... try opening the lid as you start to fill it... then close the lid and fill the rest of the way. This forces the gas up out the top. Might have an air lock.

Also try opening the lid as you purge it.

Hmm .. it never occured to me to try the lid trick, but will give it a shot and report back.

This is probably not your problem, but just in case: could it be the weather? When it’s cold, butane doesn’t expand as much, and you get a low flame. Is it much colder than normal the last few days?

I know what you are saying, but it's not the case here. This lighter, given their reputation for frailty should one drop it by mistake (and I do tend to be a klutz), is exclusively for indoors use.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Casual

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Purge.

Turn the flame control all the way down.

Place the lighter in the freezer for 15-30 minutes.

Fill the lighter.

Allow lighter to reach room temperature.

Turn flame control up slightly.

Light it and adjust flame to preference.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Purge.

Fill the lighter.

So ... what does the freezer do for the lighter exactly?

I filled it on monday, I lit three bowls with it, maybe 6 relights, and the flame shrunk again. I am going to take action, and do what you guys suggested. I thought that these Corona lighters have no death, I am quite upset about the situation, as they don't come cheap. Grrrr

Quit fooling with it, just go get you a Zippo, you'll be happier.

I have a zippo as well, while they are reliable I do try to avoid gasoline when possible.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hmm .. it never occured to me to try the lid trick, but will give it a shot and report back.
That fixed mine.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Purge.

Fill the lighter.

The thing that most often is the cause of a shrinking flame is Ember's second line. If you don't turn the flame adjustment down before refilling, the flame will gradually get smaller.

Russ

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
So, depending on the manufacturer, there is sometimes a smaller flame adjuster screw underneath the one on the bottom of the lighter.. In other words its like a Macro Set level screw underneath that main screw on the bottom of the case, which then acts as a fine tune. My Kiribi was like this... you might want to remove the adjuster screw on the bottom of the lighter and check to see if there is another underneath

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
That fixed mine.

I did try the lid off trick, and it seemed to me that it let off an awful lot of air, far more than it usually did when bleeding/purging. It seems to me that for the past three years since I had it it took in a little air with each fill, to the point it hardly took any butane when filling. It works for now, I am curios if this was truly a fix.

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.