PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I am learning to layer/bundle up during the cold, wee hours of the morning. I just cannot imagine taking time off from having a pipe. But, as it gets into the 20's/teens, I am not sure how often I will be out there. Might have to start walking and having a pipe.

<grin> You must be from one of those “tropical” states….. here in my neck of the woods, most of the college-aged folks still regularly wear short-sleeved shirts and shorts when it is in the teens or twenties.

While I personally STOPPED wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts a few decades ago when it would start to get below 40 F degrees outside….. I still will readily smoke my pipe outside even down to around -20 F . If it isn’t windy, I might venture outside for a pipe even when it is a bit colder than that.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
<grin> You must be from one of those “tropical” states….. here in my neck of the woods, most of the college-aged folks still regularly wear short-sleeved shirts and shorts when it is in the teens or twenties.

While I personally STOPPED wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts a few decades ago when it would start to get below 40 F degrees outside….. I still will readily smoke my pipe outside even down to around -20 F . If it isn’t windy, I might venture outside for a pipe even when it is a bit colder than that.
Yup. The tropical part of Philadelphia. :LOL:

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Wisconsin winters was the reason I built myself a room in my basement for smoking pipes. One of the best decisions I've ever made.
does your room in the basement have windows? or are you just using a filtration system in a non-windowed room? How well does the smoke stay out of the other rooms? Curious, because i'm thinking of trying this myself.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Pipe smoking in Scotland is pretty much seasonal unless you have a shed or a conservatory (essentially a slightly bigger shed that’s made of plastic or glass but with a roof, a big greenhouse essentially ) or a dedicated room or unless you like getting soaked in freezing rain lol

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
does your room in the basement have windows? or are you just using a filtration system in a non-windowed room? How well does the smoke stay out of the other rooms? Curious, because i'm thinking of trying this myself.
There are no windows. I have an intake duct for fresh air and an inline exhaust fan to remove the smoke. A tv with Roku is on the wall for entertainment. A portable heater for warmth. The room is sealed so that no smoke escapes. The pictures are from 2013 when it was first built and when I used to smoke cigars. I only smoke pipes now.

Attachments

• DSCN0464.JPG
    DSCN0464.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0462.JPG
    DSCN0462.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 8

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
I smoke within the cozy confines of my Subaru, where the weather is always conducive to smoking. Now the type of tobacco is often dependent on the season. I had a bowl of Wilkes #111 today and I couldn't help but think "I can't wait to smoke this next summer".

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
I live in the Mohave Desert, Arizona where summer temperatures can reach 125 with winter highs in the 60’s. Usually very little humidity and no insects to speak of, lol. 9 months of the year outdoor smoking is great. The other three I have to work at it - early morning, late at night, and even sitting on the baja shelf in the swimming pool.

Reactions: bullet08

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I smoke only on days that have a "d" in their name.
That’s a pretty good deal you have with the “d” in the name….My Wife Made me the same deal, but the days had to have a “y” in their name to be able to smoke inside…. She smokes cigarettes, but won’t smoke inside unless I have the fireplace going. She is a regular participent of what my primary care physician calls “Inhalation therapy”…

Last edited: