PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
If you don't have a daily routine, when do you smoke? What inspires the moment?
Or if you do have a standard, daily smoking routine, what might trigger an "extra bowl moment" for you?
I'm guessing a very common one would be after Thanksgiving family meal. But what else tends to have you reaching for the pipe?

Jan 8, 2013
My morning drive to work, like clockwork. Generally after dinner or a long day. Often on my lunch break. Sunny afternoons with light breezes. And my favorite, after reaching the high point on a good hike, to hell with park policy, im sitting on a rock and enjoying a pipe.

redheadedsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Iowa
For me personally, I tend to reach for my pipe to unwind after work. Once I'm off for the day and my other business is tended to, I'll plop down at my desk and fill a bowl to let everything go.
Although, that's becoming an everyday thing. I try to set aside a little time for myself before I call it a day and that will usually result in surfing the internet or reading and enjoying a pipe. I don't smoke out and about or while I'm piddling around in the garage (as I just do think about it), but give me that 30-60 minutes towards the end of the evening...that's what I look forward to most about the ends of my night.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
First bowl is torched off around 10am. And there's usually one smoldering in my mouth for the rest of the day until I retire for the night unless circumstances make the pipe a no-no. I enjoy my pipes most in the evening when I've settled in after a nice repast. Other than that, the pipe just delivers the nicotine as I work.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've never smoked cigarettes and nicotine and I do not get along. I smoke my pipe for relaxation and to wind down. I've found myself of late grabbing a pipe at lunch time at work and it almost defeats the purpose for me as I just feel like one of the other "smokers" out there getting my fix. I enjoy my pipe the most around the campfire in the summer while up north at my trailer. On a good night that's not too humid I'll grab an extra bowl or two, in this ridiculous winter weather I'm having a small bowl while walking the dog.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Usually after dark when they day has wound down. Although in the summer I like to sit in the sun and enjoy some VA flakes.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My schedule is such that about the only time I find for a smoke is Friday afternoons - so my weekly routine is to either swing by the B&M on my way home, or head for home and hang out on the back patio with a pipe and a good book.
When I was between jobs, my daily routine would be get up, eat breakfast, look for new job listings, submit at least one resume, then take a smoke break. Then I'd do some household chores and have lunch. After lunch, I'd study for a certification exam (often while smoking another bowl). Then I'd fix dinner and relax in the evening. I miss having more free time to smoke and read, but I really don't miss being unemployed...

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I get home just after midnight and have dinner, then check e-mail and this forum. Around 2 AM I'll pour myself a glass of yellow tail Shiraz (or something stronger) and light up a pipe in my office. That's when I'll either read, listen to the radio or work on refurbishing a pipe.
On my days off I may start sooner. The days have many more distractions then my nights. Those other people who live in my house...family I guess you would call them, make demands on my time. :lol:

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
For me, it's usually after dinner, especially if it was a big dinner. There's just something about enjoying a pipe for dessert. Other than that, some days, when work was either busy as can be or deathly boring, when I get home, nothing gets me back down to earth like a pipe.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Being retired, a routine is last thing I have. I'm not an all day pipe smoker but more of a morning and an evening smoker. My morning smoke may occur anywhere from first thing in the morning to just before lunch. My evening smoke does tend to be more regular as late afternoon, just before dinner with my (alcoholic) beverage of choice, the quintessential Sundowner. :puffy:
P.S. If the ballgame is on I may have another smoke (and drinks) while listening on the ray-did-dio. Oh, for those warm summer nights! :worship:

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
My first pipe at 5:30 each morning, last pipe at 10 pm. Pipe doesn't go more than an hour without getting smoked in between. It's always a good time for a pipe for me. I used to smoke less, but have been smoking more and more Virginia tobacco which is much lighter in vitamin N. It may sound like I smoke a lot, but with the small bowl pipes I love, it's only about 4 ounces a week or less.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
Around 11 pm after my daughter's late night bottle and it's not windy or raining. Another bowl gets fired up if I have a lot of school work and the morning at work doesn't look too bad. It definitely feels like I am more efficient working on any "thinking" project with a pipe burning.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I usually have a bowl after work. I teach at three different JHSs and the Mon Wed school is the only one where I can smoke. I'll sneak out in the back for a bowl in the parking lot once in a while.
If I'm going for a long drive (upwards of 2 hours) I'll pack a bowl or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.