PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Well, it happened. I suppose I have been lucky so far and I should be thankful for that. It might be that I am not a clencher or perhaps that I usually sit while smoking. For whatever reason though, my clothing has escaped burn holes consistently the whole time I have been smoking... until last night. I was doing char lights on a bowl of Ten Russians when a rather large little chunk of expanding baccy decided to take a flying swan dive right onto my favorite, heavy weight Patagonia fleece. Nope, no small burn holes for me. It left a huge burnt hole bigger than my thumb right in the front, right through the Windstopper and all. Dad always said "if you're going to do something....
Anyone else loose entire pieces of clothing to our wonderful hobby?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Yes! I have been smoking a lot more in my car since my mom died. I find I need the comfort of the pipe more and can control my urge to smoke less.
In any event, Several times I have had thing go flying out of the pipe and I put a hole in my favorite Seahawks sweatshirt. Grr.
Condolences on your Patagonia. They make nice clothes!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My favorite Carhartt insulated hoodie has what my wife calls a "heart shot". Quarter sized burn right above my heart, and it drives her nutz cause I won't get rid of it.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have a few small burn marks on my plaid fleece pants and adidas gym shorts ... it comes with the territory. I'm just glad I haven't done that to any of my good clothes. Luckily it has just been my around-the-house bottoms.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Sadly, due to the positioning of the burn and the nature of fleece this guy is likely headed for the transfer site. Without the Windstopper doing it's job, it's going to be mighty drafty and our weather is none too forgiving. I've had a few close calls in the past but always managed to expertly avoid the descending embers with my ninja like reflexes. Okay, okay, I probably looked like a clumsy fool with a mouse in his pants but I avoided them none the less. Like wyfbane, I was in my car and suppose that didn't help. I probably could have used a new one anyway but I'll definitely be more careful with my car based lighting practices.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I often smoke my pipe while wearning reasonably expensive suits and ties, but so far no damages to the slick threads. I, like the other reports so far on this thread, have put a nice burn hole in, yes, a fleece. Great for the cold, not so good for the fire!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a wool Swanndri jacket I wear smoking now. Even if I drop an ember at worst its a small black dot rather the an burned hole.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
A lot of my sweaters and a few shirts have small holes in them. During the summer, I can't keep a clean t-shirt on because of all the tiny ash streaks on the front. Wife wants me to wear a bib, but I'm not that domesticated yet.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I haven't had any incidents with clothing, but I had a piece of flying burning match head put a quarter inch burn mark on the coffee table yesterday while I was lighting my pipe. It hasn't been noticed yet but if I never log in again it's likely because it's been discovered :eek:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
It hasn't been noticed yet but if I never log in again it's likely because it's been discovered
:lol:

I'll keep your safety in my thoughts, good luck.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
We got new team shirts for our Golden Seniors Softball Club last week. I christened mine with a tiny burn hole from a hot ash or coal that escaped my pipe on the drive home after its first use. incongruity.

Status
Not open for further replies.