If You Smoke Aromatics Is It The Tobacco You're Enjoying ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 25, 2021
England
I've been asking myself this question, and have decided to lay off Aromatics for a few months or maybe for good.

Enjoyment is what pipe smoking is all about and, hey, I'm not here here to stop anyone from enjoying what they like. I just thought well, I like a good plain tobacco, what's all this aromatic business in aid of ? Yes I know all tobacco has some form of casing added to it.
I may be quite new to the forum but I've been piping for 14 years, so I'm not asking for suggestions such as - You may think you don't like Aromatics, but have you tried this one?
Just would like to know your opinion that's all. Myself I was enjoying Aromatics but now I want to focus on good old baccy.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Depends on which aromatics you’re talking about. There are some that don’t offer much tobacco flavor, and are all topping, but there are tons of “tobacco-forward” aromatics where the topping is merely an accent to the tobacco. Some examples: St Bruno, Edward G Robinson’s Pipe Blend, Erinmore Flake, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, etc, etc. The list could go on and on.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Aromatics have their place and make up the bulk of pipe tobacco sales. I started with them, as many, and eventually became a Virginia/flake hoarding madman...like many :) That said, I also consistently favor 'natural' blends, by far.

Is it the tobacco we enjoy we smoking aros? I would say not /only/ the tobacco...but, are we truly enjoying a baked potato when we load it up with fixins?

Aromatic blends are not popular by mistake, they smell great and many have some great flavor ...a really good aro, imo, will work with the tobaccos rather than cover it up, too (lookin at you Mac Baren Vanilla Rollcake) puffy

I’m pretty sure that in this day and age that it is NOT OK to talk negatively about aromatics. I don’t mean FDA nor deeming regs, but cancel culture. Aromatic smokers are people too. We shouldn’t shame nor devalue them for their life choices.
I admit it… I have smoked aromatics…. Back when I was aromatic-curious. But, for so long it has been a closet thing for so many pipesmokers. Come out of the closet and admit that sometimes it’s nice to smoke an aromatic while riding a moped, letting the wind blow against your vaginas! puffy

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
I understand where you're coming from..
I've been trying out fruity aromatics for the first time ever this summer. Quite a few blends have way too many flavorings that overwhelm the tobacco.

I'm finding that it's pretty tricky to find a good balanced aromatic that lets the tobacco shine through.

Aromatics for me, are an interesting diversion from the same old, same old....

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I smoke Amphora Full Aroma sometimes and I've found out that if it's dry enough, the tobacco and the toppings meld into a very pleasant and quite complex sweetness.
If it's not dried out enough, it tastes like bitter burley with chocolate and red berries.
I prefer it dry and in that case, I enjoy both the tobacco and the toppings.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Come out of the closet and admit that sometimes it’s nice to smoke an aromatic while riding a moped, letting the wind blow against your vaginas!

I smoke only aromatics mainly because latakia and perique make me unwell and last time I checked, i do not have a vagina. I can however confirm, from someone I know that has an actual vagina, that yes, smoking aromatics can be pleasant.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I smoke Amphora Full Aroma sometimes and I've found out that if it's dry enough, the tobacco and the toppings meld into a very pleasant and quite complex sweetness.
If it's not dried out enough, it tastes like bitter burley with chocolate and red berries.
I prefer it dry and in that case, I enjoy both the tobacco and the toppings.
This

Jun 23, 2019
I've been asking myself this question, and have decided to lay off Aromatics for a few months or maybe for good.

Enjoyment is what pipe smoking is all about and, hey, I'm not here here to stop anyone from enjoying what they like. I just thought well, I like a good plain tobacco, what's all this aromatic business in aid of ? Yes I know all tobacco has some form of casing added to it.
I may be quite new to the forum but I've been piping for 14 years, so I'm not asking for suggestions such as - You may think you don't like Aromatics, but have you tried this one?
Just would like to know your opinion that's all. Myself I was enjoying Aromatics but now I want to focus on good old baccy.

Seeing as your location says England, is it by these same principles your people refuse to season your food?

:ROFLMAO: Of course, that's a joke. I'm actually quite fond of many British classics. (I kid because the post feels like a Ken M level master troll).

That said, I think there's a propensity for people to get overly philosophical when smoking a pipe.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I’m just as home with aromatics as I am hard nosed English blends or straight Virginias. I like bourbon straight or with Vermouth and bitters. Polynesian drinks are just as attractive as 12 year Scotch. Why choose to limit yourself? Why choose or to eat cake because the taste of the icing gets in way of the taste of the flour? Yeh, give me my bread. All rye! But, your road is your road and no one can criticize your preferences nor should anyone criticize another’s.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Aromatics have their place and make up the bulk of pipe tobacco sales. I started with them, as many, and eventually became a Virginia/flake hoarding madman...like many :) That said, I also consistently favor 'natural' blends, by far.

Is it the tobacco we enjoy we smoking aros? I would say not /only/ the tobacco...but, are we truly enjoying a baked potato when we load it up with fixins?

Aromatic blends are not popular by mistake, they smell great and many have some great flavor ...a really good aro, imo, will work with the tobaccos rather than cover it up, too (lookin at you Mac Baren Vanilla Rollcake) puffy
I like your baked potato analogy. Yes baked potatoes are good on their own and with whatever you wanna put in them. I love HH Virginia flake and was thinking of trying the vanilla, if I decide to go back to Aromatics I'll give it a try. Going without Aromatics is an experiment, if I like it I shall stick with it.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
That’s the beauty of it all, stick it in a jar and come back to it later when you get a hankering for it, because it will happen.

But @Morrison Jeremiah what tobacco forward flavour are you looking for? Virginia, Burley, Oriental etc etc ?

Just curious if you have a preference.

Speaking of aromatic’s, I think the greatest aroma in the world is from a good quality straight Virginia.puffy

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I look at it like this: If you enjoy aromatics then you enjoy tobacco - it's still tobacco - you just like a bit extra to go with it - like topping your ice cream with nuts and syrup
Now, as for aromatics like the dutch cavendish type - those particularly emphasize the actual tobaccos hence I tend to enjoy those and stick to those as my aromatic
same with say lakelands or tonquin blends - these 'aromatics' are more like rum raisin, or butter pecan ice cream with the components really accentuating the entire package