If You Like Burley... Could You Recommend Your Fav?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Man, you couldn't have chosen a worse beer as an example. I hate Michelob so %$*#ing much.
LOL, sorry about that. It was meant more to address the intensity, not quality. In hindsight, it may have been a horrible analogy.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
De nada. I got the point. IPAs hit you over the head with hop flavor whereas American lagers have a very mild flavor profile to avoid offending anyone's pallet. I just happen to think Michelob in particular makes its beer out of mild skunk guts.

Mar 1, 2014
I'll second Five Brothers, it's like picking some Burley straight out of the barn after curing and smoking it (I have no idea what Burley straight out of the barn is like, but this is pure Burley). You get the most well behaved burn in history and it has that distinct light buttery/nutty flavour (and had a good kick of Vitimin N).
I tried Crooner last month and had a great time, the gravity fill and sweet Deertongue came through reasonably well. Actually, my sample had been dried out for a year and re-hydrated so the Deertongue may have been less potent than others experience. It's another blend that usually comes with warnings about ghosting but however I achieved it my sample seemed lightly flavoured, and as much buttery tasting as Vanilla flavoured.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 Semois, thick or medium cut, an optimal burley experience, but only if you really love this leaf. Otherwise, you won't taste much, or you will be nauseated.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I'm not a big burley smoker, but I've always really enjoyed MacBaren's London Burley Blend. It was discontinued a year or two ago; however, if you search hard enough you can still come across dusty tins at B&Ms and others online up for consignment. I've heard MacBaren's Golden Extra is also quite nice.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
LJ Peretti's Cuban Mixture
While there are other views on this, here's one to check:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2739/peretti-cuban-mixture#review43549
"Flavoring -- None Detected"

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Seconding the Semois. A sweet Burley with great depth of flavor. Takes a little getting used to!

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Solani Silver!!!!!!
Oh.....and Esoterica makes a burley blend.....what's that name again.......oh yes: Stonehaven.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The main things about burley are its nic potency and tendency to take on the flavor of anything it's topped or blended with. So unless you're smoking straight burley, the taste can run the complete gamut. I tried straight burley years ago from the local tobacconist who had it in stock for DIY blenders, and it was pretty boring to me, but it did deliver the nic.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
For me its a toss up between P&C Edgeworth match, Solani aged burley flake, and H&H burley kake.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I've found Sutliff's Heines Blend to be an enjoyable Burley smoke."
+1! Below is my July 7, 2011 review of Heine's Blend from TobaccoReviews.com:
Heine's Blend has been on my tobacco radar for years, but is one that I did not try until today. Now I am sorry that I waited so long.
This blend is described above as having a "cube cut" and so I expected to see something akin to Cornell & Diehl's Crooner (No. 104) when I opened the sturdy 14 oz. plastic container. Instead, I was greeted by a mostly dark, gently fragrant, chunky tobacco that has more of what I would describe as a "rough cut."
It was moist, but did not leave my fingers sticky when I pinched some between them. Its aroma in the container seemed almost subtle, really noticeable only when I placed my nose a few inches above it. To me the smell was reminiscent of Fig Newton cookies.
Like most aromatic tobaccos this one would benefit from some drying, as initially I had a hard time keeping it lit after loading my pipe (a small briar billiard that I use for testing new tobaccos) directly from the container. However, having said that, I was pleased by the fact that there was no "gurgle" in my initial bowl. Further, a pipe-cleaner applied after I dumped the dark gray ash (with almost no dottle) showed a surprisingly small amount of tar.
The smoke was blue-white and creamy, and try as I might I could not induce this blend to bite. Its taste was lightly sweet and pleasant, and left no coating on my tongue. The room note was comforting: slightly spicy, warm, and inviting.
This is a very pleasant easy-to-smoke blend that helped me to recall why I became a pipe-smoker in the first place, and I recommend it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I like Peter Stokkebye's Burley 702 and could smoke that all day long. It's not all that exciting but it has a nutty, pleasant flavor. I try to keep my TAD costs down, so if I were spending more I might go with something more expensive. This stuff I can order by the pound and it blends very well with other tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.