PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I feel obligated to provide a somewhat contrary assessment by way of my opinion, based on my significant experience with William. I've purchased approximately 30 pipes from William. His photos are quite poor so you've absolutely got to request better photos. He has sent pipes that have been over-reamed/reamed by knife, pipes with amber stems that have been poorly glued or are falling off, pipes with stems that do not match the pipe/do not fit. I would absolutely take him to task before purchasing any pipe from him because he will not. He's often backtracked and made excuses as well. His website has reviews from former customers as well, and I suggest you read them. Any irregularity and the otherwise pleasant William clams up and becomes uncooperative at the drop of a hat. Insist on using PayPal goods and services---he will accept if you insist on it.

If anyone cares to see I can send photos of some of the "not as advertised" pipes and email exchanges.
⬆️

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have also purchased several pipes from William. They have ranged from high end to beaters. I have always assumed that there was risk with the limited, poor pictures and was willing to take the risk. I would ask for more pictures and details if I wasn’t comfortable with the risk. Once I had enough information to make a purchase decision I would go ahead or not. I consider the site a great place to buy estates but you need to approach knowing the caveats. All the pipes I have received have been cleaned and stems polished. He indicates which ones are not and you can request it. It doesn’t surprise me to hear that some pipes have been modified. Some of the listings identify modifications. I have bought some pipes that had modifications that weren’t too important to me on that pipe. If the modification is not noted that is another thing.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and OzPiper

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I've had a couple of experiences. First one, got a Nording Hunter Pheasant - required a ton of cleaning, but was happy to find it. Second, was also good - picked up an interesting Peterson "Flat Grip", haven't cleaned it up yet in a serious way, and a Stanwell I thought would provide a replacement stem for a similar size pipe - didn't fit but I ended up restoring the other pipe myself recently and it turned out great. Seems like a nice guy, shipping does take forever once he sends it, but I'm around, lol.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I haven't bought from William in a number of years, but I was quite happy with what I got, some obscure Danish carvers. Kudos for the not-so-happy reviews from more experienced buyers, though. My experience is limited.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’m willing to give my experience by PM. I think if he gives you pics of every angle of the pipe, you MAY be OK. But you won’t have the same assurances you get from Smokingpipes or Reborn about the pipe’s condition.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’m willing to give my experience by PM. I think if he gives you pics of every angle of the pipe, you MAY be OK. But you won’t have the same assurances you get from Smokingpipes or Reborn about the pipe’s condition.
I’d also like to mention Blueroom Briars and a Spanish site, Sybarita, both of whom do excellent work and deliver beautifully restored, reasonably priced, pipes. Sybarita was a real bargain, not much more than what William charged, from what I remember, yet they send pipes in magnificent condition. They don’t have the collection William has but they do offer peace of mind: you know you’re getting something nice, and something that has been carefully examined and photographed. Same with BRBs.

Reactions: bent1