If You Had to Buy Pipes From One Country for the Rest of Your Life...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For value and quality in a package, you can't beat French pipes. They have such a strong tradition with the introduction of briar in pipe making. If a person had to shop only French, they'd do fine. I'll stick with my earlier entry, but value my French pipes.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I would pick USA only if I had the money to commission pipes all the time.
I would pick England for the classic shaping.
But I ended up picking Italy. I can buy great pipes at an affordable price with a huge selection. If I had to pick just one manufacturer I would say Savinelli.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
USA for a few reasons. We just have a great selection of artisan pipe makers and factory makers (Dr Grabow, Kaywoodie, Missourie Meerschaum). And American pipe makers are pretty much making the classic shapes the English are known for as well as being creative and innovative (England would be my second choice). So I feel like w/ the US, I wouldn't really be lacking anything.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I love my Brit Wood. After that it's clearly the USA, hands down. Much as I admire Danish and German carvers, the prices aren't matched by improved smoking qualities. Better bang for the buck elsewhere.
Time to fire up a Barling.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I prefer classical shapes that are straight and light, as I clench almost always. I've smoked straight pipes for so long that it's a chore lighting a bent as the bowl is at a different height. I don't want to have to think about how to hold the pipe nor how to light it. So new or estate pipes that fit the hat bill are good, and the country of origin becomes irrelevant.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm still with my first post on this thread, but I also have a major weakness for U.S. factory pipes. They have a certain kind of soul, like 1950's American (U.S.) cars.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Italy -- excellent sources of briar; my cavicchi and castello briars smoke soooo sweetly. there's pipe-making history for those who thrive on that. there's some great bang for the buck, too: Italy offers so many pipe choices. Italy rocks the pipe-making world. My second choice would be the danish pipes --- but the really awesome ones are outside the range defined by SWMBO.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I would hate this day, because it is really not an easy decision. I'd currently go with U.S., as I love my artisan pipes and I really love a good commission. However, I would not really want to be limited to just this, as variety is the spice of pipe smoking.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Another vote for France.
Although Tinsky makes the perfect hand crafted briar, sticking with factory pipes I go with Chacom all the way.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I voted for Italy... They have such a wide variety of extremely talented carvers... I think Italian pipe makers get most obsessed with "grain" and I like that...
If supporting my home economy is a factor in this at all, I'd go USA... USA is a close second for me regardless. We have so many talented pipe makers here. The MM cobs are also important.

Status
Not open for further replies.