If You Had to Buy Pipes From One Country for the Rest of Your Life...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I chose USA for the survey for two reasons:
1. Our artisans are making mind blowing pipes that smoke so well there is no need to outsource.
2. Missouri Meerschaum.
US. You can't take my cobs from me.
Same reasons here!

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I chose USA for the survey for two reasons:
1. Our artisans are making mind blowing pipes that smoke so well there is no need to outsource.
2. Missouri Meerschaum.
Did not think of point #2.... A quandary....

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Given my current finances, England offers me the best value and variety especially when considering the breadth of the pipes on the estate market.
-- Pat

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
For me it would be a toss up between France and Italy. I love french pipes, especially the scale (size) the majority tend to be manufactured. However, the selection available from Italy is phenominal. I mean, most pipe makers have moved their manufacturing there for a reason.
Lastly, after just purchasing my first Michael Parks pipe, I do not think there would be a very bright future ahead if I was not allowed to buy another masterpiece from him. So I would have to add Canada to the list as well.

Dec 28, 2015
Had to go with Italy since 9 of my 10 briars are Italian:

Castello

Radice (2)

Luciano (2)

Savinelli (2)

Mimmo Provenzano

Stanwell
Although I love my one American briar (a moonshine Devilled Egg) and my 5 Missouri Meerschaum cobs.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I believe that America has the best variety overall, from MM to high grades to factory pipes, America has something for smokers on all levels. America's "second chapter" in pipe making is really setting the bar high. Right now the high end makers really pride themselves on quality which I believe is a key factor in current times. They have led the way with sandblasting as an art and not just a finish to hide flaws, are developing a unique American style, and have opened a pipe factor (briarworks). On top of that, the high end makers share and discuss with other makers, quite openly and for free, ways to improve. I think if they added a couple more vowels to their last names they call all be going for a couple Gs a pipe.
Briarworks is a young factory employed by artisan pipe makers, and I think they will be sought after pipes decades from now. This feels important to mention. I took a tour of their factory, and they are more focused on quality over quantity. It almost resembles the W.O. Larsen crew or Stanwell crew from the 70s. Years from now when their estate market matures, people will be happy to say their Briarworks pipe was made by Pete, Todd, Sam, Bill, or Micah. I think that is pretty cool.
I dont have to say too much about MM. The entire pipe smoking world is pretty familiar with them and their quality. I will say that I have smoked corn cobs being sold here in China, and there is no reasonable way to compare them with MM. I still smoke the MM cobs I bought many years ago, the chinese cobs were either thrown away new or mid-bowl.
Just my 2 cents.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I love pipes from all over the globe. However, when I look at my collection, it's made mostly of Italian and Danish
2 Rindaldo, Ser Jacobo, Savinelli. Then I have a few different Stanwells ranging in over 50 years old to new. This, of course, is just a sampling of my 50+ pipe collection.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
That's easy - Denmark.

stanr-1113-600x448.jpg

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
8O -I'm torn!
Savinelli pulling me one way, Peterson pulling me another! Stanwell shoving hard from behind! Tsuge ... NOOOOOO!!!
Dr. Grabow, Missouri Meerschaum, and a handful of pipe makers made me do it. USA!
EDIT: Crap. Forgot about Falcon.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Interesting survey. Like a lot of you I have more Italian pipes than anything else - mostly Le Nuvole and Ser Jacopo. Honourable mentions, though, to Russia, Ukraine, America and Denmark because I've had phases of collecting each. But now I buy very few pipes and have only been buying Greek (Asteriou) and Canadian (Parks). I'm bound to buy another Larry Roush someday, though.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I love my Ser Jacopos, Radici

and Costello but with American artisans producing pipes nothing short of amazing, I have to with the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.