PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Only one tobacco would be Black House, only one brand would have to be McClelland, they have a large range of excellent Virginias and great English blends.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I'd have to go with C&D as well, both for variety and quality. While my top three were from other brands, C&D make many of my "runners-up"--Manhattan Afternoon, Red Carpet, Sunday Picnic, Milk & Honey, Bayou Morning, Berry Good, Apricots & Cream...oh, I could go on.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
MacBaren may edge out Peterson for me as far as blends go. Connoisseur's Choice by Peterson is still far and away my favourite blend, but I really enjoy the 7 Seas line from MacB as well as Vanilla Cream.

vroomfondel

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2011
Zurich
For me it's a toss up between Sam Gawith (St. James Flake and Squadron Leader) and all those great McClelland VAs. But I will have to say McClelland as well, because they even have an aromatic that I enjoy (Deep Hollow) and their range of tobaccos is more to my taste than Sam Gawith.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
This one is tough, since my three favorites come from 3 different blenders, and the 90 or so other tobaccos I like come from everywhere. Ultimately, in terms of choices, I would go to McClelland. But believe it or not, Tinderbox sells 3 of the blends I smoke most often, so if I could only get one brand forever, it would have to be Tinerbox: 1928 Special Reserve, Connoisseur, and Philosopher.
Now that may change to Sterling, since I am getting attached to Double Eagle and 1776 Tavern Blend. Where are those decision dice, anyway?

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
This changes from time to time but right now I would have to go with Boswell's tobaccos. A month ago it would probably have been Peretti and a year ago it would have been C&D. Honestly, I would hate to give up the variety of having several brands available.
Smokey

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Lots of interesting answers there! From the list above, I think I will have to try some more of the MacBaren blends. I have enjoyed the couple I have tried, but didn't realise that they produced so many until I just had a look. Always good to have a new project :) :clap:

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
One Brand? Hmmm. I'll go with Dunhill. You can probably imagine my concern when it "disappeared" from the USA for a spell. All the Dunhill blends just seem to pack a certain high quality in the weed and a skill in the blending that I find very appealing. I look at the collection of empty tins I have around me and the majority have the Dunhill stamp.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
... Dunhill. You can probably imagine my concern when it "disappeared" from the USA for a spell
That must be horrible when you can't get hold of your favourite blend! I love Dunhill Flake, but the other couple I tried (Nightcap & London Mix) and wasn't so keen on them. Any other Dunhill blends you recommend I try based on my love of their Flake?

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
Have you tried The Royal Yacht? It is Dunhill's riff on an aromatic. It is a rich blend of Virginias with a sort of currant, fig scented topping. High nicotine hit - not recommended on an empty stomach. Another blend which hasn't been retained in the new USA introduction was Elizabethan Mixture. If you like Vapers, Elizabethan is a classic. Peterson Irish Oak comes closest to what is currently available.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thank you Loborx - I shall add both those to my "To Try" list :) I like a tobacco with more than its fair share of nicotine, so I look forward to trying Royal Yacht.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I did consider Gawith Hoggarth OTD - they do some really nice blends. But in the end, it was the other side of the Gawith family that got my vote as I prefer their Squadron Leader to GH&Co English Mixture. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.