PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

If you are after a nice pipe from Sante Giuliani's collection, one of his very good friends is helping out his widow. He has been putting them, a few at a time, on EBay. His Seller name is lumpyslures (mind the 2 "S"'s) and for a non-pipe guy he does a pretty good job of describing and photographing Sante's gorgeous pipes. He is first rate in communication and shipping, and can ship overseas. In some cases, he has used Sante's marvelous selfies to show off the piece. His packaging is excellent and well protected. If you prefer that the pipe stem be removed for shipment, let him know ahead of time.

hp
les

Last edited by a moderator:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'd like to think I'm done but there are a few more to come that if no one bids high enough, well then...

There are plenty more from some really big names that are just going to be out of my range.

I'm still a little surprised at the condition of a few of them. It looks like he heavily favored certain pipes and didn't spend much time on cleaning. The Doctor's pipe that's up right now is a good example.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm still a little surprised at the condition of a few of them. It looks like he heavily favored certain pipes and didn't spend much time on cleaning. The Doctor's pipe that's up right now is a good example.
I noticed that, and that the bidding starts at $500 on that pipe. The minimums look to have been raised, so I guess the seller is not satisfied with the prices the pipes are bringing.
One of his pipes used to belong to me. I donated it to help raise money to pay off Rolando Negoita's medical bills. Fishbango bought it. I'm watching to see if it shows up. I might buy it back.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks for the heads up, Les! I just can second, that the seller does a very good job. The pipe that I have the honor to own now was well packed and shipped quickly. The description of the pipe was good as were the photos and he did answer my question quickly.

I was surprised (not in a negative way), too, that the pipe came heavily caked and not too clean. This also must have been a favourite smoker.

Reactions: gamzultovah
I'd like to think I'm done but there are a few more to come that if no one bids high enough, well then...

There are plenty more from some really big names that are just going to be out of my range.

Cleaning was not a priority to be sure.

A couple I won took some serious work but the overall result was well worth the effort. He had GREAT taste for quality and his style was quite eclectic.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Seeing the cake buildup was almost more amusing than anything. One I received, however, has a fairly oxidized stem but mostly on one side so it appears to have been exposed to sunshine and not used all that much.

I haven't seen anything that would require actual restoration, just a fair bit of cleaning.

There was one that had what looked like rubber o-rings on the shank (or stem? don't remember) that looked like they were cracking compared to the pictures he first posted of it. This might have been more of an issue of not the best design idea and not a maintenance issue though. Still, looked like a very easy thing to fix.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been watching all of Fish's auctions but so far haven't found one I wanted to buy. I am confident I will own one of his pipes one day.

Did anyone here grab this pipe

Castello by Carlo Scotti Italy from the Sante Giuliani fishnbanjo collection | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castello-by-Carlo-Scotti-Italy-from-the-Sante-Giuliani-fishnbanjo-collection/153748932052

That is one serious Occhi Di Pernice and it was a steal at the price it sold at. If I was a Castello buyer I would have been all over it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I suspect a number of us are lax on pipe maintenance and, before selling, would "detail" the pipe, just as we would a car, for maximum sale price.

Since Sante passed away, he had no opportunity to spiff them up before sale and his fishing buddy would probably be well out of his league with a reamer and buffing wheel.

For those of us who enjoyed our affiliation with him, we should all just be thankful we have the opportunity to acquire these pipes. Had the reaper given him ample warning, he'd likely have scrubbed them up and we'd be paying triple for some of them.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
He had one that is my grail pipe . . . though if it comes up I know it will be more than I can afford. I loved seeing all the pipes he had collected and will miss his posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.