Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
To me, there are similarities between certain foods and the way that various tobaccos taste. Smokey, sweet, catsup, cinnamon, bready.

I've always enjoyed drawing parallels between the two enjoyments of eating and smoking. Do you do the same? and if so, what tobacco and food remind you of each other?

#1 for me would be Old Dark Fired and a hearty Beef Stew.

What say you?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I understand the food correlation to a degree. But I've never smoked tobacco that tasted like a Ribeye. Or even a hamburger for that matter. So i never get the meaty description. I grew up in a farming area and put tens of thousands of bails of hay. Never smoked tobacco that tasted like hay either. Or grass.

For me, the flavors are more sweet, sour, peppery, fruity, etc.. I also get the feeling of airy, light, medium and full bodied. I get monochromatic or complex. Now that may be my uneducated palate speaking.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I use comparative flavors to describe what I taste, but for me it's more about components than going all they way to a complete dish or something like that. However, I do think Barbary Coast tastes like those chocolate covered cherries in the boozy syrup.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
But I've never smoked tobacco that tasted like a Ribeye.
It's funny you wrote that because I've always compared (only in my own head) SG Full Virginia Flake to a thick, heavily marbled ribeye steak. Not because there are any similarities in flavor but because they're both the best at what they do. Now it's out of my head.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I understand the food correlation to a degree. But I've never smoked tobacco that tasted like a Ribeye. Or even a hamburger for that matter. So i never get the meaty description. I grew up in a farming area and put tens of thousands of bails of hay. Never smoked tobacco that tasted like hay either. Or grass.

For me, the flavors are more sweet, sour, peppery, fruity, etc.. I also get the feeling of airy, light, medium and full bodied. I get monochromatic or complex. Now that may be my uneducated palate speaking.
Example would be LBF. It has a definite brown sugar component to it. I also can get cinnamon off Virginias when I am smoking them slow. I do get hints of cinnamon toast or French toast. Not all the time, but...

FT CVP gives me hints of marshmallow and vanilla. The va's bring a bready quality. Voila, you have Smores.

Status
Not open for further replies.