PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
My wife and I, as well as numerous members of our community, have been targeted for identity theft. Twice over the past 3 months we received credit cards and checks in the mail from two separate banks that we never contacted. We’re pretty guarded about our personal information, but a quick Google search and you can find names, DOBs, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, info on relatives, etc., which is enough to initiate an account. Long story short, police reports filed, accounts closed, credit bureaus contacted, etc., and initiated efforts to remove info from internet sites, like MyLife, WhitePages, City-Data, TruthFinder, etc. No real harm, just a PITA. If you haven’t Googled/Yahoo’ed your name in a while, I think you’ll be surprised of the amount of information that is available.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Best of luck with unfarkling all of that. I got compromised in the big OMB hacking of several years ago because I had a security clearance — we are still living with the consequences

• Sad
Reactions: STP

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Sorry to hear. Thanks for the heads up, although there was only the virtual equivalence of tumbleweed when I checked to see if the internet cares about my existence...

• Haha
Reactions: STP