Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MamaR

Lurker
Jul 8, 2024
Hello. Sorry to bother everyone, but I am hoping for assistance. My mom passed late last year and we found this pipe among her belongings. Although it was in a Kaywoodie box, it shows none of the typical markings (cloverleaf) of that brand (the stem has no markings at all). The shank has several markings, including 1) "Meerschaum inner bowl 27" 2) "Aged Impacted Briar" and 3) "Schustr's Rare Edition" (Schuster was my father's last name, and since this engraving is sooo poor and muddled, we believe it was done after purchase or was given to him or my grandfather Schuster as a gift). I'm assuming it's just an old, everyday pipe and was simply stored in a leftover Kaywoodie box. I did do some research, but it gets overwhelming! So ... hoping for clarification, confirmation, or thoughts from the experts. Thank you so much for looking and for your time. Carolyn.

Attachments

• pipe 2.jpg
    pipe 2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 41
  • pipe 6.jpg
    pipe 6.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 39
  • pipe 7.jpg
    pipe 7.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 37
  • pipe 8.jpg
    pipe 8.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 36
  • pipe 9.jpg
    pipe 9.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 37
  • pipe 10.jpg
    pipe 10.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 41
  • pipe 11.jpg
    pipe 11.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 46
  • pipe 12.jpg
    pipe 12.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 47
  • pipe 13.jpg
    pipe 13.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 44
  • pipe 14.jpg
    pipe 14.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Def not an expert and I'm sure other's here can give you more information, but certainly looks like it was a pipe bought then engraved with your Grandfather's last name as a gift, it's. clear a different engraving style so I'm assuming it was done outside the factory.
Best of luck!

Reactions: MamaR

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Hello. Sorry to bother everyone, but I am hoping for assistance. My mom passed late last year and we found this pipe among her belongings. Although it was in a Kaywoodie box, it shows none of the typical markings (cloverleaf) of that brand (the stem has no markings at all). The shank has several markings, including 1) "Meerschaum inner bowl 27" 2) "Aged Impacted Briar" and 3) "Schustr's Rare Edition" (Schuster was my father's last name, and since this engraving is sooo poor and muddled, we believe it was done after purchase or was given to him or my grandfather Schuster as a gift). I'm assuming it's just an old, everyday pipe and was simply stored in a leftover Kaywoodie box. I did do some research, but it gets overwhelming! So ... hoping for clarification, confirmation, or thoughts from the experts. Thank you so much for looking and for your time. Carolyn.
Looks to me that your dad or granddad went to get a personalized pipe but the engraver misspelled the name and tried to cover it up. Which maybe why it was not smoked.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Looks to me that your dad or granddad went to get a personalized pipe but the engraver misspelled the name and tried to cover it up. Which maybe why it was not smoked.
Just makes for a better story! Like the "no regerts" tattoo!
Still very cool to have a pipe that was your grandpa'ss many of us would love to have a pipe from family members, you could always put it on a little stand on a mantle or some place so it's "always ready for him to enjoy".

• Love
Reactions: MamaR and jpmcwjr

MamaR

Lurker
Jul 8, 2024
LOL. Thank you for your replies! You both state FACTS. And I 100% agree about the engraving and family history. To add to the story, we had never known either my dad or my grandfather to smoke a pipe, so assuming that it was a gift that missed the mark (not only in the engraving, btw), hence why it was never smoked. Just wanted to confirm this pipe is NOT a Kaywoodie, and rather a cheap imposter using the brand's box.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

MamaR

Lurker
Jul 8, 2024
It says "Schulte's Rare Edition".

View attachment 322784

I'm not sure if it's the same Schulte's as this Pipedia entry, which, by the way, is probably the worst Pipedia entry I've ever seen...

OOOOOHHHHH. See ... This is why I needed this group. That makes much more sense!! Both my father and grandfather grew up and did business in the Philly/New York area, so a shop in Jersey makes that Pipedia page just a bit helpful. THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherbob

DeadJetty

Lurker
Jun 17, 2024
Washington State, USA
It's a beautiful pipe! I'm glad that you have gotten help in identifying it.
Wanted to point out that the bowl appears unsmoked from the photos, and that it may actually have a non-briar insert inside the chamber. If it is what I believe, it could be a clay-or meerschaum-lined pipe. In any case, it's really cool!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's a beautiful pipe! I'm glad that you have gotten help in identifying it.
Wanted to point out that the bowl appears unsmoked from the photos, and that it may actually have a non-briar insert inside the chamber. If it is what I believe, it could be a clay-or meerschaum-lined pipe. In any case, it's really cool!
oh it states clearly that it is meer lined on the pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It says "Schulte's Rare Edition".

View attachment 322784

I'm not sure if it's the same Schulte's as this Pipedia entry, which, by the way, is probably the worst Pipedia entry I've ever seen...

Greeneyes in for the save! There's also something else going on, with all of the additional decorative stampings around the letters. My first thought was that the original name had been cancelled and then a new name struck over it, but that doesn't make sense in the light of greeneye's finding. Maybe someone unskilled "duded" it up a little?
Anyways, congrats on finding the ID.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
It appears to me to be a Shulte's pipe that was "double" stamped and so less legible. BTW, the other marking says "imported briar", not "impacted".

It appears that pipes made by Shultes did not have such stampings, just their name, but perhaps they also carried pipes made by someone else and stamped with their name. The only time I've seen a pipe with similar stampings, it was clearly factory made.

MamaR

Lurker
Jul 8, 2024
Yes, Many thanks to Greeneyes!!! And yes, I'm sure you all can understand why the confusion on our end because of the resemblance to the last name. Plus the engraving of "Schulte's" is of such poor quality (compared to the other marks) that we assumed it couldn't have been from the manufacturer and was added by someone less skilled. Glad to know we have a Schulte pipe in a Kaywoodie box. Anyway ... again, I really appreciate all your input and comments!! You have all been so helpful!! THANK YOU!!!

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, Many thanks to Greeneyes!!! And yes, I'm sure you all can understand why the confusion on our end because of the resemblance to the last name. Plus the engraving of "Schulte's" is of such poor quality (compared to the other marks) that we assumed it couldn't have been from the manufacturer and was added by someone less skilled. Glad to know we have a Schulte pipe in a Kaywoodie box. Anyway ... again, I really appreciate all your input and comments!! You have all been so helpful!! THANK YOU!!!
Light up a pipe and come on back!