3 Fresh Jared Coles Pipes
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
9 Fresh GH.ZHANG Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The problem being I have become obsessed with finding estate pipes. I have stumbled into trying to take up pipe smoking again. I smoked a bit two summers ago but put it away after feeling too much of the energy high. I was working as a barista so the combination was tooo much.

Anyway, I am starting up again and do want to... I am in Vienna, Austria for a couple months and have PERHAPS found it to be a good source of estate pipes for low prices - if you put in the work. BUT i have found myself with over 25 pipes collected in less than a week. It is POSSIBLE some of these are very good finds - a couple Savinelli, a Peterson, a Stanwell, and several fairly old pipes in (I think) decent condition... Big Ben, Red Point, Old River, lots of Butz Choquin around here.

But I (and def my wife) are very concerned I am just pickup up junk the local collectors dont want. I have never bought nor sold an estate pipe before. And despite watching many videos on what to look for, I certainly do not know what to really avoid and what to be very happy I scored. I do know these (almost) all need some cleanup and maybe light refurb, but I am excited to do that as a mini-hobbie.

Of course there is the crowd that will say "If you like it and it smokes, you done well". And I agree to a large part of that truth. But before continuing, stopping, regretting, etc this obsession, I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE if some nice person from this forum would be willing to do a video chat or something with me so I can show what I have found and get some feedback on if this is indeed junk, great, mediocre, etc. I would make myself available almost any time despite the time zones. I think this format would be much more useful than me posting a BUNCH of photos asking for info. I have just under 30 pipes (so far). I really need to stop - or face spousal recourse.

Much thanks!
Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
From the brands you mentioned, all are factory pipes.
For collection/value purchase, there are few selection criteria that i gather from about 6 months of buying pipes..
  • Make and Age (traceability)
  • Factory or not (may not matter for old/vintage collectible pipes i.e Comoys, pre-war pipes etc). Hand made pipe generally commands higher interest and price due to uniqueness
  • particular models & finishes - ring/silver mount or not, handmade or not, shapes (unique or not) , grain finishes, rustic/sandblasting, filter or not (say for a Peterson or Savinelli which has so many variants)
  • Salvability - how bad is the condition, can it be remedied if damaged/poor shape or finishes
  • Purchase price ( replacing a stem on a bad purchase would probably cost 50% of the pipe's purchase price so be careful)
For me i always look at the pipe/brand and research of what it is , before making the call. Of course buying for own use is different for value-purchase.
Also, read and learn - take your time and don't go too fast puffy puffy puffy

Thanks! For me the primary goal is to get some experience with the brands and the world of pipes in general, and to aquire a nice personal collection of things I like and are pretty to me. Buying some that will make a good resell if I clean them up will be a nice perk of my efforts. I dont expect to find any/many crazy $500 value for $20 finds, but will not complain if I get $200 pipes for $10.... spend a few hours working them, try them, and sell them for a little profit.

Just for more info, and perhaps to peak some interest (happy to post, email, or share a vid on any specifics if anyone wants)... this is most of what I have aquired. I do not purchase anything super beat up (big bite marks, burnouts, etc) or if I cannot determine at least a brand that I can find info on. But that does not mean like you say these are factory pipes and readily available. Just now I went to look at some and she had 2 pipes I already have (but in worse shape and she is asking 2X+ what I paid). Anyway, this is what I have:

Savinelli: Punto Oro 622, Roma 101 and de luxe 515, Hardcastle Executive, Passatore Graziosa Oliva, Jean Claude Olive (and others), Lorenzetti Bradley Pipe, a few Butz Couquin, Bari Mandarin 8537, Kempering (hand made), Ropp, Orlik SS SA14, Vauen: Luxus and Dr Perl 3316, Chevalier ‘Rene’, Odenkott, Big Ben Ranger, Red Point, Old River, GDB Extra Dry 326S, 3 hand made Bjarne (very pretty), Stanwell Vario 15, Peterson Shamrock 999, Arcadia

I welcome anyone who knows much about any of these particular pipes, or most of them, or just is willing to look over things and give me a feel for quality/condition/etc.

Reactions: Roach1

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
Several group there :
  • Italians - Savinelli (Punto Oro quite high grade), not sure of Passatore
  • Danish - Bari, Stanwell Vario, Bjarne (hand carved typically, good draw and medium-up size wise)
  • English - GBD (good) , Orlik, Peterson/Shamrock 999 bent rhodesian is nice
  • Dutch - Big Ben
  • German - Vauen, Oldenkott - generally filters
  • Austrian - Kemperling
  • French - Butz Choquin (standard st claude pipes, typically), Jean Claude not sure, Ropp is similar to BC
  • Arcadia etc i am not sure of where
The key is to read and study. Then its much easier to categorize and make the best value pick.
Do you try to smoke any of the pipes?
And some pictures would definitely help puffy puffy puffy

Reactions: dottlejockey
As there are 30 pipes I didn't want to overload with pix. But I can post any of them. This is the collection.
Passatore is an Austria brand. The local pipe store specializes in them. Some are fairly expensive new, tho I don't think my particular one is very special.
I did 'quick' research in these - some I found similar sales, new prices, etc. Some could have a value of 10X what I paid easily. But this is where particular advise/info on quality, etc is what I'm seeking as I have not tried to clean them (or any) so I dont know how well they clean or what marks/fades/etc might significantly damage the value.. or the smoke.
I have not smoked any of them yet. I want to do at least a decent initial cleaning of the stem - some bowls are good enough to smoke and I will try soon. I got some nice Absolute Choice Virginia blend.

I also looked and and may add: Ben Wade, Zettervig, Otal, COB (london made), Heibe, Arte, Sorensen, Norma, Morris, and maybe a couple others. I wanted to research them a bit more first. But I really must STOP.

Here is the collection as it stands:

pipes.jpg

Quick correction - the Passatore is from Italy. New it sells for $69 for what is identical to mine.

I would say ~33% I have found the exact pipe (neglecting year, but at least brand/shape) somewhere in the webs. Not always with price or lots of info. Another 33% I at least know the brand and some info. Some I know very very little.

I plan to be in Colorado in a month near the states largest makerspace. I am hoping they have tools and maybe some nice friendly people to help me get these in good order. I do plan to keep many of them for a long time... as long as I can keep them and my wife. I just find several of them beautiful. This is what is mainly drawing me into the hobby.

I have read a lot on rebornpipes - in fact they have had several of 'my' pipes - or at least the brands - in their reports. Some very unique ones like the Old River from Czechia.

The only one I have not been able to identify a brand is the Acadia. I see an Acadia pipe tamper ($50!). It is a beautiful unique pipe - the one in the lower right in my photo above. Cute little stubby bent with very nice wood.

I paid very little for most of these... I expect 2 of the better ones are worth the lot - tho most I have found and unless there is some unique historic value to them they are fairly mid-range ($50-100). Some I find on ebay and other sites.

The biggest thing I want to learn from someone is looking closely at them, do they have defects or something that is a big "Stay Away"... a certain condition of the bowl, stem, etc... or of course are there some of great value (so I can be more careful with them if nothing else).

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
For me the primary goal is to get some experience with the brands and the world of pipes in general, and to aquire a nice personal collection of things I like and are pretty to me. Buying some that will make a good resell if I clean them up will be a nice perk of my efforts.

This is a great way to get going on a collection as you have already. Exactly how i started about 18 or 19 years ago. I bought anything of interest that, with a little research, was a good buy. Sometimes that meant the listing was misspelled, the seller had few sales, the picture quality was not that great, or the stem was oxidized and the bowl charred to kingdom come. Whatever the case, there are the "flipper pipes" and then, eventually, you add to that list the ones you sell off because - for whatever reason - you simply don't reach for them anymore. Over time you refine what you have, what you like and what you smoke. You already have a few lookers there. ;) Best wishes on your journey!

Reactions: JeremyL
Thanks all. I paid very little for any one of these, but as I have 29 pipes it does add up. And I have the fun (honestly looking forward to it - but waiting until this trip is over to do the main work as I am in a friends apt and don't want to collect all the cleaning/refurb materials here) work to clean them up and learn. I have no remorse... tho I wonder if I should take a break or set limits (only nicer, only hand made, nothing over $XX)... Of course I know this is all personal.

Looking over all the sales of pipes on rebornpipes it is both sad (b/c something I thought might be worth $150 is perhaps only $60 when cleaned) but also good (as he has the same pipe I have - restored in 2016 - and he decided to keep it but would sell for $70. I paid $12.50 and it is in pretty good shape. Min work.
I just wonder if being in Europe and in Austria where pipe smoking is not really very fashionable, I am in a prime spot to pick up some deals as well as gems.

So I guess I will taper down a little bit (My wife seriously is a bit angry at the time I am spending, but she does support the new obsession).

BUT still would welcome a confab with someone experienced in restores and collecting. If for nothing else than to get a quick sense of quality and what work I have to put in . You can watch 1000hrs of vids but 5min of teaching is worth so much more.

Reactions: PipeWI

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
What I find common outside of US is, people like new shiny things. Old things are replaced with latest and the greatest. Doesn't mean that there aren't any who appreciate "antiques".

So when you see a estate pipe, you want to first check over all condition of it. Any crack or possible hidden faults. Any thinning of specific area. Any unusual dark wood. Of course, condition of the stem. Check the nomenclature to see how old the pipe is, if possible.

If it's something you can restore easily, or with some elbow grease, grab it to see how it turns out. Worst you can do is chuck it in a trash can.