Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm a casual smoker of tobacco and my mother gifted me an old unused pipe that belonged to my grandfather for Christmas this year.

The pipe is briarwood and it has a makers mark: SOBORG, Handcarved in Denmark, 5. After several google searches, I still can't manage to find a website or much information about the maker.

The pipe has been sitting in the box with its receipt since 9/11/1981. The stem and part of the head itself are made from a black plastic seeming material, but as this would be my first pipe I'm unsure whether that is vulcanite or not. The material appears to be somewhat faded--I can tell because there was clearly a sticker in one area and under that is jet black and different from the rest. I was wondering if there were any way to restore the original color?

Also, the shank seems to be a smaller diameter than most pipes I've looked up online. Overall, the construction seems odd by comparison.

If anyone could give me some advice about this pipe in general or provide me any information about the maker, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all so much in advance!

- CAP

Attachments

• 20191228_212926.jpg
    20191228_212926.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20191228_212920.jpg
    20191228_212920.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20191228_212950.jpg
    20191228_212950.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20191228_213020.jpg
    20191228_213020.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 42

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The only related information I could find, from Pipedia, references this carver from Soborg:

Søren Refbjerg Rasmussen founded a company in 1969, which employed an average of 8 - 12 craftsmen in the 1970's. The semi-freehands they produced were traded under his prename Søren...

Today he works alone as Refbjerg and manufactures only a small number of pipes in his workshop in DK-2860 Søborg.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That sounds like a nice family legacy to have and to smoke. Perhaps the stem is Vulcanite that has oxidized slightly. That would not be unusual in a pipe that vintage.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A very nice looking Danish pipe, It does looks brand new! For more on Soren Refbjerg see,

Refbjerg - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Refbjerg

and to look at some of his later work,

Danish Estates Refbjerg Tobacco Pipes | Buy Danish Estates Refbjerg Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/index.cfm?tag=345

Soren also worked for W.O. Larsen at one point,

W.Ø. Larsen - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/W.%C3%98._Larsen

I have pipes of his made for Larsen, and under his own name. As someone who "collects" Danish pipes, I'd call that one a winner!

:)

On restoration /cleanup, I wouldn't "learn" on such a nice pipe. The stem and shank extension are vulcanite. If you want the pipe to look perfect, give this guy a call,

Cook's Fine Pipe Works | Smoking Pipe Repair & Restoration - https://www.cooksfinepipeworks.com/

Wow! Thanks a ton for the links and information! I'll definitely consider having the vulcanite touched up so that it looks as good as new. For now I'm just happy to have a lot more information on the pipe itself and its story. I'm definitely very lucky to have this one as my first and I can't wait to break it in! I have some nice tobacco coming in the mail and some pipe bits to keep the pipe in good condition :)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Many members here (including myself) would love to have one of our grandfathers pipes. That is a special find, and even if pipe smoking isn't your thing it is a nice piece of family history.

As for the stem, if you just want to give it a little shine now and again, try rubbing some mineral oil on it. It won't remove any oxidation, but it will give it a nice shine.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I remember when I was a boy, my dad sitting at the kitchen table loading his pipe. Wish he had kept it and passed it down to me. Family heirlooms are priceless, IMHO.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.