I Would Love to Support My Local B&M, But...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In Florida where I live they instituted an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco. A tin that costs me 9.00 on line is now 22.95 at my local b/m. When I first moved here to FL back in 2003, I used to go to my local shop(8 miles away) on a regular basis and loved doing so. I would give him most of my business as his prices were just a tad higher than online. When that tax was put in, I couldn't believe what he had to charge and I felt badly for him as he lost my business along with a ton of others I am sure. He once had a really good stock of pipe tobacco but now he carries very few blends and that is for the tourists who come from Europe and other high tax countries.
The worst thing about this tax is it is just for pipe tobacco, they have no tax on cigars and a very small one for cigarettes. They went after the RYO business and killed the pipe tobacco business. Most of the RYO shops went out of business as now you can buy a pack of Marlboro's for cheaper than rolling your own. I have finished my 25 year cellar so I no longer have to worry about if they stop allowing places like SP to ship to different states. I believe that taxes like the one in Florida are going to happen in all the states eventually and if they don't I can see the federal government stopping on line sales of tobacco which will make you have to buy from the local b/m's which will force you to be at the mercy of your local government and their high taxes. I believe that Wisconsin does not allow places like SP to ship to it and I believe that is just the beginning. People should really think about building their cellars as quickly as possible before the shit hits the fan.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The bleeding heart liberals who elected the current administration are too busy holding hands and singing Kumbaya to realize the money has to come from somewhere to pay for the entitlements bestowed on the illegal immigrants and able-bodied individuals who rather sit on welfare than get off their fat lazy asses and do a real day's work. Sooner or later we're going to be drowning in taxation here just like in the UK and EU.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Even inside a B&M where you have to be 18 just to walk in the door?
The only tobacconist I know of in the city is the Captain's Den in a mall which is a sort of gift/tobacco store so all of its tobacco is enclosed. You may be right though, and a proper tobacconist may be different. If one ever opens up I'll see I suppose!
People should really think about building their cellars as quickly as possible before the shit hits the fan
I think that's a good idea. Saskatchewan has been circling around a ban on 'flavoured tobacco' for a while now and I'm sure it will signal the end times for pipe tobacco in this province.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Strange the result of dystopia. Im sure that I read we don't discuss politics here. But what really intimidates us and our hobby? Politics. Our fellow neighbors have reached into our personal space and caused loss of jobs and the difficulty to pursue ones happiness. what ashame :puffpipe:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I know exactly how you feel stickframer, I live in the Windsor Ontario area and the price per 50g tin averages about $40-$45. I am fortunate to have a great local B&M with two very knowledgeable fellows to help me out. Their main business is cigars but they have a good selection of pipes, pipe tobacco and essentials. I feel guilty not buying my tobacco there but when I can get it online for a third of the price after exchange and shipping it's pretty hard to buy from them. Ppes are pretty close in price once you factor in exchange and shipping so I still buy the occasional pipe there and other accessories. It's a tough spot to be in for me and for them. :(

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
It doesn't matter what side of the aisle the politician is on. If they can build coffers and dole that money to those that like to put their hand out but remember who butters the bread on election day, then they have built their own legacy.
Note: I have never used that many pronouns in my life, but I think you all get what I am saying

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I only have one B&M locally and they have a very, very small selection of pipes and tobacco. They are more Cigar oriented and have limited knowledge on that. I understand that it is a small business and they need to make money, but I can buy online with shipping and still only pay half of what they charge.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The politicians are only buying the votes which many sell too cheaply. Don't blame the pols for feeding the greed of electorate. That's much to easy! Blame the people that vote with their pocketbook. We are a very selfish bunch, we voters. The bases of both parties are very demanding and work hard to elect those who will meet their insatiable demands for money and entitlements. It's the American Way for the last 60 or so years. Blame your neighbor, blame the guy down the street but, blaming the politician for delivering what the voter wants is misguided.
Tobacco is an easy target. Get used to it. We smokers are not very popular and are far too few to have any impact on elections. We are also very one dimensional, at least on the forum which is as it should be I suppose.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
If/When the internet gets cracked down on the difference in price won't be as severe as it currently can be. In that case, I would rather have the outlet available to physically smoke in and enjoy(all prices being equal). So I try to spend a couple bucks every now and then knowing that down the road that B and M will inevitably see more of my business and I want to help keep it afloat until then.
I am lucky that I have a couple readily available, I have never encountered any issues with any of them, but if I were to I could easily frequent one of the other establishments instead.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Tobacco today, guns tomorrow, Heteroseaxuality next week, Meanwhile your local B&M closes and jobs will be lost. And the entitled will complain.
@Warren if our neighbor was a little more selfish he wouldn't pick our pocket, his would be as fat or slack as ours. More like its box and eliminate. Tobacco was a trial, so it continues....ban cars, ban oil, ban pollution, ban drugs, ban ban ban. It's all about control. So the cattle rides to the rail.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
And we voters gladly cede control to the people we elect. I love to sit in a bar or my barber shop and listen to the customers. The majority are only concerned with what affects them and them alone. Whether it's tobacco taxes, the cost of a beer, a gallon of gas, etc. It is very personal and few look beyond their own needs and desires.
The up side is if you raise up a smart, self-directed kid it is easier for them to be successful when the competition has been "dumbed" down and/or are lazy or uneducated. The lack of real competition will make the attainment of the "American Dream" much easier for those few willing to put out the effort.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Retail is a tough business across all products. The Internet has allowed for unlimited product and price comparisons. You can research on one site and buy on another.
In my small town, the most common response from a salesperson I get is, no we don't have one but we can order one for you. Hardware, car parts, plumbing, etc. The reality is that I can order the same thing usually faster and cheaper and can pick from every example there is.
One of the great things about pipes is trying new tobaccos. It's fun to reaearch and then try new things. The best B&Ms (I travel a lot) have a small fraction of the variety. I do support them, always if they have a lounge, but at the end of the day, substantially higher prices and substantially lower variety is not a sustainable model.
This is a sad reality, but it is real. The tax situation is a tragedy on so many levels but ultimately it is a secondary cause of death to the B&Ms.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
bcharles 123, Sums this story up very well, the Internet allows more competition and B&M have the overhead and the individual states taxes to deal with. I'm stocking up on as much tobacco as possible, The Internet isn't going to remain a freemarket for much longer. Thank God, I can call Corenell and Diehl when the FIT finally hits the SHAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.