PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Regardless of what anyone tells themselves when they question the motives of younger smokers, we buy pipes, tobaccos, and accessories, enjoy them, and join in on the conversations about them, so we're boosting the industry in general and keeping the flame alive to some degree.
also not questioning their motives! everyone starts somewhere.

HIPSTER PIPE SMOKERS UNITE. JAH LOVE.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I think a lot of them are also not buying very many new pipes but if they do they are cheap ones.
Not sure what tobaccos they are smoking.
This kind of fits with the millennial mindset though... Like buying high-end wine or $30 craft beer bombers and expensive cheeses while driving a raggedy car to a tiny crappy apartment in a hip neighborhood. Same mentality of smoking a broke down cob full of Penzance. These guys will pay half their rent money for vintage McC blends but wouldn't want a pipe that looks fancier than their vintage cabbie cap or goodwill flannel. The other side of the coin is the hipster that drops a grand on what they think is the highest quality pipe ever, only to exclusively smoke American Spirit RYO in it!? They're all keeping the market floating in their own dumb way, just like the guys that buy 10 pounds at a time but only smoke a couple bowls a week. ?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I should clarify I don't mean hipster as a bad thing.. I've been called it.
Just trying to plant an image in the mind.. in other words I haven't seen a "jock"-type or "bro" guy interested in pipes.

it's a real thing on wikipedia. lol
though the pictures are sort of hilarious.
I did have to laugh at the qualifier "21st century"!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This kind of fits with the millennial mindset though... Like buying high-end wine or $30 craft beer bombers and expensive cheeses while driving a raggedy car to a tiny crappy apartment in a hip neighborhood. Same mentality of smoking a broke down cob full of Penzance. These guys will pay half their rent money for vintage McC blends but wouldn't want a pipe that looks fancier than their vintage cabbie cap or goodwill flannel. The other side of the coin is the hipster that drops a grand on what they think is the highest quality pipe ever, only to exclusively smoke American Spirit RYO in it!? They're all keeping the market floating in their own dumb way, just like the guys that buy 10 pounds at a time but only smoke a couple bowls a week. ?
Good point! I read somewhere that millennials spend 50-75% of their income on consumable goods and fashion.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
also not questioning their motives! everyone starts somewhere.

HIPSTER PIPE SMOKERS UNITE. JAH LOVE.
I'm not trying to be defensive of it?! I feel like if the term existed earlier, a lot of the pipe smoking community would be umbrellad in. I mean, the whole "pipe smoking, intellectual, black turtle-neck wearing, college student" thing was a type of artsy-hipster style as well as the "folky throwback, ironic hobo, barefoot, mandolin playing inner city guys" of the 70's. Those guys were just as likely to be puffing a pipe as the old timers and hillbillies. I guess that was the same era that saw the rise in popularity of Danish Freehands as well... there's always been a good sized contingency of eccentrics and wierdos in the world of pipe smokers.
Also, I agree.. never really see the bros or jocks picking up the pipe.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I try to fly the flag every work day at 10:15 and 2:15 when I take my breaks. I stand out front of the office with my pipe. I give everyone who drives by a friendly wave. I've had a couple people stop to ask me about it or tell me about their grandpa who smoked a pipe. You never know who it might inspire.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I try to fly the flag every work day at 10:15 and 2:15 when I take my breaks. I stand out front of the office with my pipe. I give everyone who drives by a friendly wave. I've had a couple people stop to ask me about it or tell me about their grandpa who smoked a pipe. You never know who it might inspire.
62A340D4-2A05-4472-B937-ED8A02E530DC.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The mr brog caption is unrelated just something I made for another thread. ?. You’re like a pipe smoking wavey tube arm man.