PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
I went down to Rich's, my local B&M, and found some unobtanium. Please patronize your local B&M. (I left a tin for the next customer).View attachment 21859
I've never had it but I don't doubt that I would enjoy it. Nice find! I visited my local B&M over the summer and found a tin of Cabbie's Mixture with around 5 years age on it. It was a remarkable VAPer!!

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I really enjoy going to my B&M. They've been around and in the same family since 1917 so they know their business. My favorite tobaccos are some of their house blends. Their blend book has over a thousand individual customer blends. The owner told me he has customers who come in and get their grandfathers blend; how cool would that be!

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Civic duty indeed. The excise tax here is 65% of the wholesale price. Those were $22 tins in real American money!

That's crazy. In my area there are only two B&Ms that have pipe tobacco stocked. They are both primarily cigar shops, but very, very limited for pipe. I buy most of my tobacco from LJ Peretti or SPC. Sad, love going into those stores and the fresh tobacco and cigar smells envelope me.
The reality is that after this Covid-19 settles, I need to stockpile my LJ Perettis and just build my cellar out. I could survive on just their blends. I fear with the way things are going with tobacco regulation and the fall off in pipe smoking that the tobacco industry will decline in my lifetime. I had heard talk that tobacco pipe smoking is becoming a "thing" with the young college people, but I don't really believe that. Anyone think otherwise?

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I had heard talk that tobacco pipe smoking is becoming a "thing" with the young college people, but I don't really believe that. Anyone think otherwise?

It is anecdotal, but I was in a B & M in northern England in January and the owner said that in the last five years he had seen a year on year increase in sales. A lot of this was being driven by cigar sales among younger people, but he said it was also leading to cross over into pipes.

Reddit, which I assume has a younger user base than some internet platforms, has a fairly active channel supporting Pipe smoking - r/PipeTobacco It seems every week someone is posting about their first ever pipe smoking experience.

I've looked around for any kind of definitive data or study out there that would prove there is a smoking renaissance among younger smokers, and other than some four to six year old articles stating that more younger people are taking up the briar, there is nothing definitive that I've found.

I don't remember the last time I saw a pipe smoker in public, but then again a lot of smoking has gone underground as there are few fun smoker friendly venues.

I hope to get to a London Pipe Club meeting at some point and might be able to get a bit more intel from there. I guess if I were to call it, I'd say that at best things are in slow decline. It could suddenly become a fad, which then would be reinforced by some current social influencers, but there is a lot of things working against it right now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If young people take up pipe smoking in any numbers, age 15 (illegal) to 35, they will not do it in privacy. We'll see them out there, trying on a new persona to see how others react. I guess, discourage the children and give the young adults a few tips on good blends.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have seen it become more popular with "hipsters"...
in Denver I overheard a couple guys talking at Jerri's Tobacco talking about pipesmoking and how cool it was as they cruised all the nicest Viking pipes... describing their "collections". Didn't sound like a collection that would interest me ;)
I think a lot of them are also not buying very many new pipes but if they do they are cheap ones.
Not sure what tobaccos they are smoking.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have a handful of friends that are pipe smokers, myself and 4 other guys. All of us worked previously or currently at the local brewery. We were all turned on to pipes and quality blends by the head-brewer, who recommended it as a craft-style alternative to cigarettes. We are all between 30-38, so older than college-age, but still in the millennial range. I think every one of us would be offended/defensive about being called "hipsters" but I could easily see why some folks would anyway. Regardless of what anyone tells themselves when they question the motives of younger smokers, we buy pipes, tobaccos, and accessories, enjoy them, and join in on the conversations about them, so we're boosting the industry in general and keeping the flame alive to some degree.