PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctoronln9

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
Beautiful pipe!
Also great tobacco choices! I have a tin of all of 'em except Mississippi River. Can't recommend Orlik and Full Virginia Flake enough. They're both in my top-two choices. Three Nuns I couldn't care less for myself, but you might end up loving it! Also seconded @rmbittner's comment towards Frog Morton. I haven't tried on the Town, but the basic Frog Morton is delicious and outstanding.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
It's a good choice, and really, you can't do too much worse than what you've chosen. As far as the Military mount, these are great for the seasoned as well as the novice piper. It will allow you to remove the stem when you want to clean out the shank or sop up some extra moisture mid smoke. I have also found that the sheen from the Peterson's quickly wear off and looks dull after a few smokes, so be careful and don't smoke it too hot.

As for your tobacco choices, as for now, you are beginning to choose the path in which you take with tobacco, and you will find that the OGS is a great choice (I've got tons of it cellaring right now)(one of my favs), and the FVF you might have a bit of trouble with starting to smoke that one. If you like it, call me and I've got 4 tins aged that are up for trade (I'm not gaga over it and I'll trade you for something else on your next order). I'm glad you took my suggestion on the Three Nuns (I'm pretty sure that's up your alley in terms of tobacco taste). If you don't like it, once again, give me a call and I'll trade you something good for it.

Congrats on your new pipe, and enjoy!
Shutterbug

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Beautiful pipe, congrats! I am a big fan of Peterson pipes but I have had issue with break-in with their darker stained pipes. When you receive it, check to see if there is stain in the shank. If there is, you may experience a long break-in.
I would suggest using a little alcohol on a Q-Tip to remove some of the stain (just be exceedingly careful not to get any alcohol on the exterior of the pipe - watch for drips, etc)
I cannot wait to get this package! Was the military mount a good idea? Even though i am a "noob" I research things extensively before i take the plunge so i figured the tobacco i selected was worthy of my money.
If you're a clencher, they came pop off at times - however, if you're not a clencher, military bits are excellent. They allow you to remove the stem while still smoking to blow out any excess moisture or debris. They also allow easy removal during the cleaning stage, even if hot.
I wish I owned more military bits!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I can't comment on the tobaccos, haven't smoked any of them. I do have half a dozen Petersons, and after re-drilling the draft holes, chamfering the tenons and deepening the moisture traps, and in one case re-fitting the stem, they are all very well-made high-quality pipes. I didn't find they needed any breaking in at all. The bowls are pre carbonized, and I just smoked em from the rim from the start. Mine are all fistails too, I find the P-Lip is a gimmick and a PITA to get a pipecleaner through. Enjoy. And I have many straight pipes, although none of my Petes are.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
On May 1, 1894, U.S. Patent 519,135 was issued to Peterson for his unique construction of a pipe and mouthpiece, described as a “certain new and useful Improvement in Tobacco-Pipes,” that’s come to be known as the world famous Peterson 'System' pipe. In 1898 another of Peterson's innovative pipe inventions became available, the Peterson-Lip (P-Lip) mouthpiece
usually 'gimmicks' don't hang around 120 years.
fine looking Pete.. enjoy it.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
If for whatever reason you are disappointed with your Missippi River you can feel free to send it my way. I really like your tobacco selections. The pipe is nothing to sneer at either. Merry Xmas and congrats on the promotion.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This handsome Peterson is an ideal reward for your promotion. You describe yourself as a "noob"; I'm not sure what that is, but clearly you have solid tastes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Nice looking pipe and some nice tobacco. For smoking the Full Virginia Flake, I would cube cut it into very small cubes, let it dry a good 1-2 hours and then smoke it. Make sure you pack the bowl tight enough, it should feel like sipping through a straw and have some good resistance before you light up. It is a great blend when prepared right.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Shutterbug; thanks for the help brother, I had to try the three nuns after you mentioned it. If it doesn't turn out to be to my likings it's good to know your offer is on the table.

I chose these particular blends based in researching both reviews and what they consist of. So hopefully I end up having had made good choices. As for the pipe, I love the way it looks. I hope I don't experience any of the problems some of you have mentioned.

Aug 14, 2012
I would advise against getting a Pete. There are far better smokers available at modest prices, such as L'Anatra. And those military bits often let the briar drop off. Usually there is little damage, but it could fall into a toilet or the briar could snap in two.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have three Petes with military bits and I have yet to have the briar drop off. That being said, most Petes aren't really good clenchers anyhow since they tend to be on the heavier side.
(I agree with Foggy in general on this as I would suggest much better ways to spend your money too but you won't regret it either).

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
A very nice pipe. I am partial to Petersons myself but of the bent variety. As for the tobacco, my tastes differ from yours BUT if thoses choices are good for you then that's all that matters. Happy puffin',
Dave :puffy:

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I have three Petersons and enjoy them all - especially my Mark Twain. I like Mississippi River and Orlik Golden Sliced, I have yet to try the other two. Beautiful pipe - enjoy!

bill708

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
eI have a similar pipe. I own 25 Peterson pipes. You did well. Word of caution: never remove the stem while the bowl is hot! Let it come to room temp. There is a warping issue. If you take the stem out too early, it may not go back in correctly. The tobaccos are fine. I break in all my pipes with Gawith FVF.Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.