SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 1, 2012
With the need to thin out my collection considerably, I am finding myself doing a lot more work and restoration than I anticipated. As a result, I am finding myself wanting an alcohol retort to speed the process. I used to have one of the nice ones that a member here had made for a fundraiser but it's been lost over the course of several moves. Any idea where I might find a good one now? Links are appreciated and if you have one you no longer need, feel free to PM me.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Maybe not a good one and I’m assuming you’ve seen this but maybe others that are curious will learn from it (like i did) seems a set up like this and grabbing an adjustable test tube holder on Amazon might work well.

TOPINCN Lab Clamp 3 Prong Finger Style Clip Adjustable Swivel Extension Flask Clamp Lab Test Tube Condenser Lab Holder https://a.co/d/2Hf5LWh

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

Maybe not a good one and I’m assuming you’ve seen this but maybe others that are curious will learn from it (like i did) seems a set up like this and grabbing an adjustable test tube holder on Amazon might work well.

TOPINCN Lab Clamp 3 Prong Finger Style Clip Adjustable Swivel Extension Flask Clamp Lab Test Tube Condenser Lab Holder https://a.co/d/2Hf5LWh
That's the same one I had, the one in the rebornpipes article that is. The original maker isn't making them anymore as long as I'm aware. I miss mine.

You can make one with surgical tubing and some lab glassware. Be careful though, you need a steady hand so it doesn't overflow.
Yeah, I used one for a few years so I'm pretty handy with one, I personally would rather buy one that is already assembled though.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks for the replies.

That's the same one I had, the one in the rebornpipes article that is. The original maker isn't making them anymore as long as I'm aware. I miss mine.

Yeah, I used one for a few years so I'm pretty handy with one, I personally would rather buy one that is already assembled though.
I’m the same “oh it takes 5 minutes to put together? * looks on an internet site and buys one assembled for $20 instead* and no I’m not being a smart ass, just honest ?

Aug 1, 2012
I’m the same “oh it takes 5 minutes to put together? * looks on an internet site and buys one assembled for $20 instead* and no I’m not being a smart ass, just honest ?
Honestly, yes. That's me in this situation ??

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
@captainsousie: Unfortunately, @TheIronMonkey gave a new home to my last two. They're easy enough to make, sure--the issue being that in order to spend less than $100+, you have to buy $200+ worth of lab equipment (25mL erlenmeyer flasks, silicon rubber tubing, heat shrink tubing, burner lamps, test tube holders) to make the first one, and then sell the other 20 that you'll have materials for to recoup costs. I ordered from a scientific supply company (edmunds or something similar), where the minimum order was (as I recall) a case of 24 flasks, 10' of tubing, case of 24 burners, 2 packs of heat shrink, 2 dozen test tube holders.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
@captainsousie: Unfortunately, @TheIronMonkey gave a new home to my last two. They're easy enough to make, sure--the issue being that in order to spend less than $100+, you have to buy $200+ worth of lab equipment (25mL erlenmeyer flasks, silicon rubber tubing, heat shrink tubing, burner lamps, test tube holders) to make the first one, and then sell the other 20 that you'll have materials for to recoup costs. I ordered from a scientific supply company (edmunds or something similar), where the minimum order was (as I recall) a case of 24 flasks, 10' of tubing, case of 24 burners, 2 packs of heat shrink, 2 dozen test tube holders.
Sounds like an opportunity for a group buy… with you sound all the work of course ?