PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I tried avoiding that movie like the plague. However when your daughter and her friend insist, you do what you must. I'm not upset that I watched it, but I won't be sad if I don't see it ever again.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
^Hey, just for the hell of it, let's put that last dude in charge of nuclear waste...just to see what happens.

That's a fantastically good idea.

Take a chance on him. Why not?

It's time that people with obvious mental problems are given the most critical safety-related jobs in the world. As a statement of Trust and Belief in their character and reliability... ESPECIALLY when they are compulsive liars and criminals.

Reactions: brian64

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I'm in the wrong Academy. I'm in the Academy Of Television Arts and Sciences, EMMYs not Oscars. I qualify and could join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, but don't really have any desire to do so.

I haven't seen Barbie, but at some point I'll get around to it.

Anything that makes a ton of money is going to be duplicated until people start vomiting at the thought of it. That's how the studio "geniuses" keep their well paid jobs. They're overwhelmingly pretend "creatives". There are a few, not many, who are the real deal, and they are amazing to work with.
Interesting thoughts on movie creatives. I love the history of film and stories about film creation. Off topic, but growing up in the 80's, for example the Star Wars films were massive in my youth. I don't think Lucas coming back to direct in the late 90's was a success, but his prequels seem positively Oscar worthy in relation to what Disney have done to the franchise. They have been handed a ready made universe, ripe for quality film amd TV, and in a decade have totally flushed it down the toilet. It's a franchise, that if you have paid a fortune for the rights, you treat it with the respect it deserves. The best talent should be utilised to bring it to the screen, however that does not seem to have happened. Disney have brought their own agenda to it and treated it like a cash cow, and fans have walked away in droves. The Star Wars franchise is sullied now for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
at least think. I do like Chris Nolan films though. I think people's prejudice against Oppenheimer has some parallels with Alan Turing
My dislike came from finding out he tried to poison a teacher he didn't agree with and his idea of irradiating food to be sent to German civilians.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If referring to his extremely distant cherokee heritage, I wasn't aware that decorative belts, open chested jump suits and silken frilly shirts were a cherokee fashion trend.
4104171133_dc81d57d7d_b.jpg
It's just a take on it.

I often wear beads and raven feathers in a small braid behind my ear. He had many native fans and still does. Several impersonators are native.

Last edited:

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
My dislike came from finding out he tried to poison a teacher he didn't agree with and his idea of irradiating food to be sent to German civilians.
So you don't want to watch a film about a man whose brainchild caused the deaths of 250,000 Japanese civilians, because he tried to poison a lecturer, and may have agreed with a plan to poison German civilians which didn't happen? Do you have enough awareness of history to know how ignorant that comment sounds? It's almost comedy gold.

You are not saying it, but the reason you won't watch a film about him is because you are stuck in the 50's and have a mistrust of anyone you think is Commie. Your last post could not reek (smell) of any more bullshit if you tried.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You are not saying it, but the reason you won't watch a film about him is because you are stuck in the 50's and have a mistrust of anyone you think is Commie.
Never thought he was a communist. Your accusation is the real comedy gold and the product of small mindedness. I just won't celebrate a deranged lunatic. He could've easily been another Adolf Hitler. I am become death wasn't an admission of shame, it was a rehearsed statement of pride.

I just realized you resorted to name calling. I truly am now laughing at the superior intelligence.

Last edited:

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
View attachment 286726
It's just a take on it.

I often wear beads and raven feathers in a small braid behind my ear. He had many native fans and still does. Several impersonators are native.
Thats a smart look. I am not disputing that's the case, but I don't see a jump suit and silky frilly cuffs here. I thought Harry Styles looked cool in the pic. I also thought Elvis was cool in his jump suits. I don't see the difference. Elvis had cool patterns, and may be of cherokee heritage, but his choice of clothing was no more masculine than Harry Styles, which was the point made. I don't see why the original post was deleted. Probably for pictures of men in 'womanly' clothes rather than the posters ridiculous point than men would soon face castration by angry feminists.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Never thought he was a communist. Your accusation is the real comedy gold and the product of small mindedness. I just won't celebrate a deranged lunatic. He could've easily been another Adolf Hitler. I am become death wasn't an admission of shame, it was a rehearsed statement of pride.
Fair enough. Perhaps it takes a deranged lunatic to conceptualise an atomic bomb. Happy to disagree with you. Like I said, I appreciate film as a genre. In Oppenheimer, he doesn't come out a hero. If you have read about him, I am surprised that you haven't heard about his perceived leftist leanings. The film isn't a celebration of his life by the way, but is thought provoking. I am curious to know why you think reading about him is ok, but watching a film about him isn't? What reading have you done? Is it a book, or a couple of newspaper articles with a few minutes worth of reading? I am not an avid reader, so can sit in front of a screen and watch a 3 hour film about a 'deranged lunatic'. Unlike yourself though who seems to feel the need to read all about a 'deranged lunatic'.

Last edited:

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
I have to say, I have enjoyed this tête a tête witj Chasing Embers, however it speak volumes for the genius of cinematic marketing, that two people can argue about Oppenheimer on a Barbie thread. I have heard that promotional budgets flr films can be the same as the production cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.