I Thought This Was Common Knowledge.......

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Now, where did I put that old Indian smoking pipe that I inherited from my great great grandfather? I am afraid I tossed it, since I thought it looked silly with those Norse runes engraved. At least it was not a Briarlee pipe.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Yeah. I mean what did Columbus really achieve anyway?

They’re removing a Thomas Jefferson statue in New York soon, that should keep you guys feeling proud.

Reactions: kcghost and lawdawg

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
The Basques and Spanish we're catching cod of Newfoundland, and there is reason to believe that they had temporary winter settlements and would dry their catches on shore. This was before Columbus.

Columbus knew of the new world, everyone did. He didn't discover it. He just made the Spanish crown a whole bunch of money, and set genocide and slavery into motion. His own men didn't think much of him. He was so stupid that he insisted, until the day he died, that he had landed in India. That's why we call natives, "Indians." And sure, a transatlantic voyage in those days was something that took bravery, but Basque fishermen were making that voyage,albeit a northern one, long before him.

It's ok to have a reckoning and decide not to celebrate a dimwit who's only real Achievement was to turn the new world into a bunch of gold for the Spanish.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Columbus knew of the new world, everyone did. He didn't discover it. He just made the Spanish crown a whole bunch of money, and set genocide and slavery into motion. His own men didn't think much of him. He was so stupid that he insisted, until the day he died, that he had landed in India. That's why we call natives, "Indians."
So he knew it, but still thought he was in India?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In this country to be legitimate, you have to be European, the biggest acknowledgment of which is corporate success, especially as the big earnings are accompanied by big power. I'm probably wrong that no more than a handful of CEOs are persons of color or women. They are not legitimate to have such fortune.

Columbus gets the credit because he was European. Others such as the Vikings and the Chinese don't count. We hardly see them.

Wrong color, wrong culture, wrong time.

Reactions: Jaylotw

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
So he knew it, but still thought he was in India?
I'll rephrase. He knew there was land to the west. Everyone knew. What he didn't realize or admit was that it was an entirely "new" continent. He insisted until he died that he reached "the Far East." Even after explorations proved otherwise, he held firm that he had found Asia-this was what he promised and his aim in his voyages.

So, ironically, the thing that we in America "celebrate" him for is something that he was too proud to admit.

Reactions: workman

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
In this country to be legitimate, you have to be European, the biggest acknowledgment of which is corporate success, especially as the big earnings are accompanied by big power. I'm probably wrong that no more than a handful of CEOs are persons of color or women. They are not legitimate to have such fortune.

Columbus gets the credit because he was European. Others such as the Vikings and the Chinese don't count. We hardly see them.

Wrong color, wrong culture, wrong time.
That's just it. We celebrate Columbus because he turned the new world into money.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
The Basques and Spanish we're catching cod of Newfoundland, and there is reason to believe that they had temporary winter settlements and would dry their catches on shore. This was before Columbus.

Columbus knew of the new world, everyone did. He didn't discover it. He just made the Spanish crown a whole bunch of money, and set genocide and slavery into motion. His own men didn't think much of him. He was so stupid that he insisted, until the day he died, that he had landed in India. That's why we call natives, "Indians." And sure, a transatlantic voyage in those days was something that took bravery, but Basque fishermen were making that voyage,albeit a northern one, long before him.

It's ok to have a reckoning and decide not to celebrate a dimwit who's only real Achievement was to turn the new world into a bunch of gold for the Spanish.
So before Columbus there was no genocide or slavery in the Americas?

Reactions: lawdawg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Whew, glad this went down the road of politics - I was afraid from the title one of my married friends might be on his way over here soon! "I can smell the latakia, I know you're in there you b_______d!"

Status
Not open for further replies.