I Think I'm Getting The Hang Of This Pipe Business...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Obviously still shiny and new, with plenty to learn and lots to try. But this evening was a good one...
Managed to pack a decent bowl, a nice tobacco and even got it lit properly for a change! A quiet evening watching some bats hunt over the garden, enjoying a pipe.

I could get used to this...
(I think this is the right place, being a bit of a beginner epiphany thing... If not, I apologise to the mods already!)

indyraider

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Nice job. I've been doing the same thing except I don't have a garden or ever see any bats. I've been pipe smoking for a week now...
This place is great for newbs like us.
indyraider

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
It's a great feeling when you get it right.For some strange reason though I seem to pack every bowl the same way but some are better than others.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Welcome to the forums!
I was just out doing the same thing this afternoon, with a good book and a patio umbrella, taking advantage of a break in the weather. There's a hummingbird moth that's been pollinating the back yard, so I got to watch him for a while as the cats chased crickets...

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome to the forum! Even if you've been puffing for years you can learn a lot from the guys on this site! I'm enjoying my evening much the same as you, by the way. I'm sitting on our patio, with my wife, enjoying a bowl of one of my favorite tobaccos in a new Peterson my wife got me for our anniversary. It's getting cool here in SE Tennessee, starting to feel like Fall, but the crickets are chirping and there's a few frogs croaking. It's a wonderful thing, this pipe hobby/way of life, and it only gets better!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Welcome and glad to hear you guys are enjoying your pipes. Now, on to the fun search for your personal favorite blends and tobacco types. Just when you think you've found it, another comes along and blows you away!

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Now that you've got the hang of it hold on because PAD and TAD are gonna set in, Good Luck.

~Ron

ammohouse

Lurker
Sep 13, 2013
I'm also a noob when it comes to pipe smoking. Last night I finally got a decent packed bowl and a pretty good smoke while sitting under a tree watching the dog run in the yard....and didn't think about work not even once!

I think I'm gonna like this pipe thing.

Still don't know a thing about tobaccos so I just got a sampler pack, pretty sure they were cheap blends but they smoke at least.

I could spend all day reading about tobacco and be totally confused at the end.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Now that you've got the hang of it hold on because PAD and TAD are gonna set in, Good Luck.

~Ron
Too late...
The Churchwarden is too big to carry around if I'm travelling, so I've already buckled and bought a smaller pipe as a "travel pipe". A Meershcaum lines Lorenzo, fairly cheap and cheerful, but having just tried it, a very nice smoke. Might be better than the Churchwarden, or it might be down to my packing and smoking technique...
*cough* My name is Joe, and I suffer from PAD. Help?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome all you new folks!
The tobacco insight comes just with exposure to it. It's amazing how much you can pick up from places like tobaccoreviews.com and the forums here.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Welcome guys! Patience is key, just keep smoking and it will all come together for you. Plus, being on our fine forums here, you will learn a lot you may never would have on your own. I know I owe these guys a lot. Keep on posting!

forestman

Lurker
Jan 16, 2013
It is all about the moment. Take the time to enjoy the moment and you will enjoy pipe smoking.
I step from my door to the ground I adore

in the cool and clear mountain air.

A match to the bowl is warmth for the soul,

It is here I feel nary a care.
With the mix of fire and well worn briar,

I step in the frost and depart.

The silence is clear it's all that I hear,

Pipe peace settles over my heart.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Welcome folks. This is the best place for us noobs. Tons of great info and convo, enjoy.

Mike

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Welcome new members
As already mentioned this is the best site of friendly folks who are anxious to help others learn and advise on all matters pipe related
Speaking personally I know that I have saved a huge mass of confusion by following suggestions by the members of this forum
If I had to pick two of the most important things I'd say that:
1. Make sure your tobacco is dry and not moist before loading into the bowl
2. Have patience and give yourself time to learn this hobby
Enjoy the journey

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to all the new folks. Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your pipes and tobacco. Pipe smoking is an art form, it is not for the impatient, but for the thoughtful few of us that are searching for Nirvana. We are special group of people who appreciate how a pipe can slow life down and make us smell the roses. You have joined a secret society of mover and shakers and now that you are one of us, your lives will be changed forever.
You have also joined a group of some serious bull shitters. :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.