PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Old man Peretti carved pipes a few decades ago, and some of the Perettis were carved by the likes of Bill Taylor (of Ashton, now deceased).
hp

les

Wow, a potential Bill Taylor carved pipe for $13??? It sure looks like a classic Ashton profile, now that REALLY makes that a steal.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
zanthal....you scored big time!

It's all packed-up and ready to go. I cleaned the tar from the rim and threw-in a new bite-guard (since you plan on clenching). BTW, this is not a small pipe, it weighs 52 grams and the bowl is about the size of a golf ball. It's a beaut and definitely Hand-made. Regarding the stem, I wouldn't do a thing to it except run a couple of whiskey-soaked pipe cleaners to your liking - the oxidation is like trying to keep-up with crabgrass on your lawn - a futile effort and of no real consequence. The bowl has a perfect cake (1/16") and I am sure it will be one of your new favorites If not, as usual, just send it back for a full refund. Thanks again. MC

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Love the shape of that pipe and a great price too. I'm just a little curious why the Ebay listing header on the new tab I opened to view it reads "New & Used electrical"? :)

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
that's eBay's header. You're only seeing a portion of it, it reads: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices:

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
@zanthal...that's the nature of auctions - you never know. There are times when (it seems) every pipe smoker on earth is glued to the TV right when an auction ends, and thus, not may bids. Good timing. It's a GREAT pipe. It holds alot of baccy and should serve you well. The briar is beautiful, there is a small birdseye knag (as seen in the pics) which I thought was actually an 'O' stamping. Other than that, it free of fills and a really dense, quality chunk of algerian briar. Enjoy.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I didn't realize it from the pictures but you were right ... I just got it today and it's got the biggest chamber of any pipe I own. Smokes very well, too!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
It took me three sittings and probably over an hour of smoke time to finish the first bowl.
Having different pipes with different chamber sizes is something I didn't realize before as being a good idea, for the sake of being able to have shorter or longer smokes.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Alright sorry for the double post but I finally gave all the responses a good read.
I'm going to do some research and see if there's any way to ascertain who carved this pipe, and I suppose since it might be a rarity, I will research how to properly "clean up" an estate pipe.
Thanks for lestrout and Al for sparking my curiousity :puffpipe:
UPDATE: I decided to e-mail LJ Peretti (the company) directly. Maybe I'll get actual confirmation and not just suspicions.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Okay, triple post. Sorry moderators, will try not to do this in the future.
But I wanted to show you something:
80aIB.jpg

When I first was inspecting this I saw the hole in the tenon (as you can see) to be off center. I thought that it might be a mistake, a factory defect or something.
I'm still not sure if it was intentional or not, but it is off-center towards the top, becoming an interesting solution to moisture problems. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That draft hole is a concession in a full-bent pipe. You might not see that in a high-grade pipe, than again you might. Does it pass a cleaner?
Having different pipes with different chamber sizes is something I didn't realize before as being a good idea, for the sake of being able to have shorter or longer smokes.
Definitely, the right pipe for the right moment. I like a bent for reading, or similar actitivies, so most of mine are bent in various sizes. I have a few really large bowls, but that limits their use, still handy to have when the time is right.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
it's intentional and aligns with the draft hole in the briar. you'll also notice a small radius notch in the mortise (of a bent pipe) from the draft hole bit, as the draft hole and mortise bore are skewed to make-up for the bend in the shank.

Otherwise if they were to continue the path of the mortise it would miss the chamber floor entirely.

The eccentric hole in the stem is a product of this (mis)alignment.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
At first glance, that "P" left me thinkin it was a Peterson. Great lines and, with a bit of loving care, it should clean up nicely. You done good, my friend.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
It's good to see a pipe find a good home. I'm pretty much done with selling pipes on eBay. I am clearing-off my bench with some bowls with missing stems, and laying-low for a while. I am going to try to make some pipes (I have access to an amazing shop) and aside from that - I'll post some pics of the pipes I have collected for myself. Take care.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.