PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought you hated booze.
I’ve never been a drinker, beers, liquors, that sort of thing. Mostly because they make me feel sick, like drinking the flu. It may just be the way I’m wired. But, recently, I’ve acquired a taste for wines. I can’t tale more than a glass in a day, but I’ve been getting into making different wines. Really, it started with harvesting almost 300 lbs of peaches and 100 lbs of muscadines. There is only so much jam and jelly we can eat in a year. So, wine seemed like the next reasonable “hobby” to get into. Now, I have apples coming in.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I’ve never been a drinker, beers, liquors, that sort of thing. Mostly because they make me feel sick, like drinking the flu. It may just be the way I’m wired. But, recently, I’ve acquired a taste for wines. I can’t tale more than a glass in a day, but I’ve been getting into making different wines. Really, it started with harvesting almost 300 lbs of peaches and 100 lbs of muscadines. There is only so much jam and jelly we can eat in a year. So, wine seemed like the next reasonable “hobby” to get into. Now, I have apples coming in.
Good man, I knew there was hope for you!
??

I'll drink to that.
?

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Maybe next comes the home made still.......

I've played with something like this.
Chasing embers is about to look down on me hard.
It's actually possible to make cuts if you double distill and go by estimated volume of product instead of taste. It's too much trouble to do that on a regular basis, although it is an interesting learning exercise.

Mostly, I'll just do this with imperfect batches of apple wine without worrying about cuts and add a few ounces to good batches to end up with fortified wine.

1595373045212.png

Wait, is chasingembers gone? I’ve never known him to step away.
I am in one of the few states that doesn’t allow, even small batch distillations. And, the little I’ve picked up on methanols, I would want to understand more about them before trying it. But really, I’ve not found a distilled beverage that I can enjoy. Brandies and such, just removes all of the stuff that I am coming to enjoy in a beverage.

I also had a bunch of ginger come ready this year. Now, brewing ginger beer... that has been a lot of fun. But, I have to keep reminding myself that it’s not candy, and two os always too much. A few batches turned into rocketfuel, ha ha.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I am in one of the few states that doesn’t allow, even small batch distillations. And, the little I’ve picked up on methanols, I would want to understand more about them before trying it. But really, I’ve not found a distilled beverage that I can enjoy. Brandies and such, just removes all of the stuff that I am coming to enjoy in a beverage.

I also had a bunch of ginger come ready this year. Now, brewing ginger beer... that has been a lot of fun. But, I have to keep reminding myself that it’s not candy, and two os always too much. A few batches turned into rocketfuel, ha ha.
He's so far from gone.... More like he moved in permanently. Even with gripes with the new site. Lol

See watch. @chasingembers

• Haha
Reactions: hawky454 and BROBS

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’m still here, just occupied recovering from my recent gender reassignment surgery.

There was a mix up, and instead of making me female, they made me male...again. So now I’m twice the man I used to be. Needless to say, I’ve become very popular with women who have a certain empty feeling but dislike team gymnastics.

So although I’ve been doing a lot of hanging out, this hasn’t left much time for hanging out here, what with having to learn to sew new underwear and all.

As you were.

-Z

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I’m still here, just occupied recovering from my recent gender reassignment surgery.

There was a mix up, and instead of making me female, they made me male...again. So now I’m twice the man I used to be. Needless to say, I’ve become very popular with women who have a certain empty feeling but dislike team gymnastics.

So although I’ve been doing a lot of hanging out, this hasn’t left much time for hanging out here, what with having to learn to sew new underwear and all.

As you were.

-Z
Welcome back Bipod!
:)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX

I’m not a drinker either but I love the process and the transformation that takes place in fermentation. I make mead, ginger beer, kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchi & kvass. I don’t like wine but I absolutely appreciate the process. Cool new hobby man!

Status
Not open for further replies.