PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
If the look of the pipe didn't matter to the smoking experience, as many of you are claiming, why is it that many of you have extensive collections often worth many thousands of dollars.

If it really didn't matter to the experience, why not just have a single cob that you smoke day in and day out.

The reality of it is that consciously or unconsciously we pick and use items that provide a pleasing user experience. If I had to choose between eating my meal with a beautiful fork or an ugly one, I know what I would choose.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
If the look of the pipe didn't matter to the smoking experience, as many of you are claiming, why is it that many of you have extensive collections often worth many thousands of dollars.

If it really didn't matter to the experience, why not just have a single cob that you smoke day in and day out.

The reality of it is that consciously or unconsciously we pick and use items that provide a pleasing user experience. If I had to choose between eating my meal with a beautiful fork or an ugly one, I know what I would choose.
It's not the fork but the quality of the meal that matters.:sher:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Because people like to collect things, some just like pipes and are financially able to buy the more artistic ones, honestly, many of my artisan pieces were gifts given to me by the carver because of our friendship, or because they wanted an opinion on something new they were trying.

I could be satisfied with only these for the remainder of my life.

20201129_190538.jpg

Reactions: keith929
Jan 27, 2020
I like the fact that a pipe can never be a status symbol as 99.9% of the people that sees you smoking one either doesn't care or just thinks you're eccentric. I prefer the less gaudy pipes for a variety of reasons, one being is they draw less attention.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I like the fact that a pipe can never be a status symbol as 99.9% of the people that sees you smoking one either doesn't care or just thinks you're eccentric. I prefer the less gaudy pipes for a variety of reasons, one being is they draw less attention.

Yep, You cant go out and make people jealous of your Dunhill..

Dec 6, 2020
Portland, OR
I think I’m in love with briar and the design/craftsmanship of pipes as much as the tobacco. I get a lot of enjoyment out of choosing the pipe and the blend together to create the kind of experience I want to have.

That said, the pipes I smoke the most are just basic production pipes. Not poor quality but not special either. I like that they never upstage whatever I’m smoking and if I drop or damage them it’s nothing to sweat over.

EvergreenPiper

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2019
I have a Dunhill billiard smokes fantastic makes me want to buy more Dunhills.

I also have a Freehand made by a 12-year-old kid that smokes wonderfully well! I met the kid at the 2019 Chicago Pipe show and his mom sells me the pipe. She mentioned that he is still learning all the pipe making skills.

My point is both a fancy pipe and an ugly pipe can generate great smoke. There is no correlation to me.

Last edited: