PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Sorry to hear your plight. I wish you the best. Remember, there is more to life than smoking a pipe, and it sounds like you had many years of enjoyment. Make the most of it and start another chapter! You're in my thoughts Brother!!

muddy41

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
So sorry to hear what you are going through.. Giving it up is a must for your health. Watched my dad go through this with cigarette and cigars about 15 years ago. But now he has stage 4 liver cancer and he had gone back to enjoying his cigars...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Good health cannot be bought. You are experiencing a day that each and every one of us here should be prepared to face.
I do tend to agree with beefeater33 on this one.
Remember, there is more to life than smoking a pipe, and it sounds like you had many years of enjoyment. Make the most of it and start another chapter!
Stay positive and as healthy as possible.
Your many years of smoking paired with your current situation makes you a valuable asset to this community. Stick around and share your wisdom!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Phil:
This kind of news absolutely blows ass. Your health is paramount and doing what needs to be done is key to enjoying a long life in addition to watching kids and grandkids move on with their lives. Just like Warren wrote, "Step out lively."
When one fire goes out, build another one, pard. (That very simple little declarative statement has seen me through more heartbreak and loss.)
If it pleases you, keep a few favorite burners for the "I remember when," stack. If not, send your smokers and smoke to Shaintiques. He'll find a good home for them, and rest assured, Dave is one of the good guys.
Cheers, mate. You're in my prayers.
Fnord

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
That's a tough one to bear Phil, all I can say is that at least you have the chance to hang on to your health. I wish you all the best for the future.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Phil, Sorry to hear of your predicament!. Without prying too much, what is going on that your doctors have forbidden nicotine? Never heard that before. Perhaps if you care to share your condition there may be others on this forum that have the same issue or know someone else that does. You never know, some one might say " so and so had that same condition and they went to a Dr XXX and he was cured." There are a lot of smart and diverse people on this site.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
While my health issues were not brought on by pipe smoking, I have been told, that any nicotine consumption can not be in my life. I am in shock as well as depressed.

So, I say the cure isn't worth the pain. Moderation my man, moderation.

I'm sorry that health issues are troubling you and I sincerely hope for you to enjoy a long and satisfying life.

Quality, not quantity.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Good luck Phil, I am sorry for your situation. It saddens me too hear this. I know that pipe smoking must have been a passion for u sir. I have been smoking a pipe for 43 years, and I feel that I will someday be told too stop smoking my PIPE. I have said a prayer for u sir, hang tough Phil. Please stay with us here on our forum.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Whilst not wishing to invade your privacy, I am curious about your doctors' advice. Does this mean you cannot have caffeine or alcohol either? I remember one particularly zealous doctor refusing to treat me until I had promised to give up smoking. I can't help feeling the advice given to yourself is somewhat specific. You go into the ER these days with a split thumb from an accident with a hammer and the first thing they ask you is "Do you smoke" What has that got to do with my thumb exactly? Please do not tell us any more details; I am not trying to be smart or anything. It just seems weird.

Having said that, I can imagine how devastating this news must be to you and you have my deep sympathy at this turn of events. You probably know more about tobacco than I ever will. As to unloading your cellar; I wish you all the luck in the world with that, but have one piece of advice. Keep your three favourite pipes and a few tins of your best tobacco. There will come a time, hopefully many years from now, when a few bowls won't make any difference. And these smokes might well be the most treasured.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh man, that is terrible to hear. You could always be strictly a collector, and have a display set up for your favorite pieces.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I know what a cardiologist is.... Had a heart attack my self at age 44. I assume even a super low nicotine alternative is not acceptable to them? There are many Aros with practically none.
Like the other gentleman quoted I have not seen many post from you either. I would SURLY recognize such a cute doggie. You have my truest best wishes and PRAYERS as a fellow heart patient, and brother in this world.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Would it be too tempting to keep a few of your favorite pipes as objects of art? Get rid of the tobacco, but keep

a few briars as mementos? Don't let me be the "devil" in your ear. If that's not possible for you, sell 'em all. But

some people keep just the pipes and never smoke at all.

skagit

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
Bummer Phil. Do what you need to do.
If nicotine is the problem, would any of the "herbal smoking blends" be an alternative? I got one off of Etsy...an "Old Time Cowboy Blend" with mullien, coltsfoot, lavender, etc. It was the 2nd thing I ever smoked in my pipe. I barely knew which end of the pipe to put in my mouth at that point, so I don't recall how it was (other than smelling like pot when it burned), but it may be worth a shot if you want to keep the hobby.
--Skagit 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.