PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newdave61

Lurker
Aug 31, 2018
+1 for the breathe method. Took me all of two years to start really getting real flavor. This made the difference for me.

silky

Lurker
Oct 26, 2019
Uh ... "first ever bowl at school with a friend...." How old are you? If you're younger than 21, you might want to give this a few more years to see if you want to smoke. Don't hurry things.
I am 20, however I am sure I want to do this. It is interesting hobby / lifestyle, and I managed to savor the taste after 2nd bowl. I packed it too tightly the first time. And most importantly I love to learn new things and master them.

Reactions: anotherbob

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
when i first started with pipes i think i was viewing as smoking a cigarette or cigar. light and puff. i tried having a bowl while walking the dogs or yard work etc and all i tasted was hot air. It wasnt until i slowed down, worked on my breathing, sat, and really focused on the exercise of smoking a pipe that things really clicked and i began to taste all the flavors i had heard others rave about. you mentioned you love learning new things and mastering. im FAR from mastering and I learn something new with every bowl i smoke

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
read some pipe tobacco reviews. There is always at least one person that just doesn't taste anything. And it's rare to find two pipe smokers that taste the precisely same thing. There is a lot going on in even tobaccos labeled as simple. Even a single leaf has a relatively complex flavor profile. And I've also had pipes where certain blends don't taste of much, especially if they have a filter. Oh and two of the suspects in a young person not tasting are going to be either clogged nose or dry mouth. If you were drinking even a little or smoking a little of something else that gave you even light cotton mouth that would limit the ability to taste things as well (the body is weird.)

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
The nose is very closely related to taste and pipe smoking is no exception. Not everyone likes retrohaling and its not always necessary, but I find if you sort of open your nasal passages and try to get a whiff when blowing out the smoke it will help you taste if better. Same thing when taking the smoke in, let your sinuses remain open if that makes any sense. Its kind of hard to explain...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Lane’s Dark Red, nice berry smell out of the bag. Just no taste and will not stay light.
I do believe I’m done with most aromatics. No bad after taste at least that’s good. And I left it out to dry for about 5 hours..

Would not recommend or buy these two blends again
You also tried two terrible tobaccos....

Reactions: Stickmaker1958

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Following a kind forum member‘s recommendation, I recently tried the Amphora Burley blend. And I Must say, not only does it taste very pleasant, it is also one of the most easy to smoke (and so to taste) tobaccos, that I know. I‘d recommend this to all new pipe smokers, who are interested in more natural tasting blends. Just rub the broken flakes out and pack them gently(!) into your pipe. A bit of drying time might even improve the taste.

Reactions: Casual

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I think Lane Dark Red is one of the best Cherry aromatics on the market. It took me while to learn how to smoke aromatics. Now, I mix the occasional one in my rotation and really enjoy them. My friends and family also like the second hand smoke. Several years ago, you would have not found an aromatic tobacco within a 1/2 mile of my cellar.

Stickmaker1958

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2019
Shasta Lake, Ca.
What’s sad in this town there is one cigar/tobacco, but most of there pipe tobacco is crispy dry. And if you smell a chocolate, coffee and they don’t smell appealing you don’t buy it!
When buying on line there is no scratch and sniff so it’s up to the description and reviews or a roll of the dice as to buy or not.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

piperRowan

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
Just my opinion here, you shouldn't fix it as it is not a problem at all. The smoking experience is developing based on the foods you consumed, the flavours you smell and your trajectory. in other words, it is based on yourself.

Like, you cannot get the note of Irish whiskey if you never had one. For aromatics, they present a (or more) distinct flavours (cherry, vanilla or coffee). You may smoke slow or fast, cool and dry or wet and hot, trying different ways to find the flavours bowl after bowl. For example, the Peterson 2017 summertime presents peach and apple. You can only find peach and you are pleasured then you win! Forget about the apple.

piperRowan

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
Rubber comes to mind when I think of my parents giving me my first taste of shrimp and lobster. Try match lighting a smaller portion of the tobacco in the top of your bowl.
Totally agree.

And: remember at all the time, they are tobacco so they should taste like tobacco at first. Don't overthink them and keep carrying on.

If you try university flake by Peterson which has the plum note as the website said. You notice that it is not plum at all but earthy and it is enjoyable. Congratulations! and buy another tin please ; )

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Drew72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
forget about aromatic and cherry. they are usually harder to smoke and most of 'em can be disappointing. pick up a good english blend. easier to smoke, burns less hot, and tasty.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.