PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
If there are any psychologists, psychiatrists, or therapists on the forum please don’t take the following personal.
Went to my wife’s office Xmas party last night. I met a woman who was the wife of one of the employees at the office. We started a conversation, and it pretty much was going well until she says.
“So you don’t like shrinks?”
“Nope.”
“Why?”
“Because some brains can’t be figured out. And shrinks never admit to that. ”
“I don’t like the term “shrink. I am a psychologist.”
“Why don’t you like that term?” I asked.
“Because it’s demeaning.”
“Why do you feel it’s demeaning?”
“Why are you questioning me?” Lady shrink asked.
“I’m interested. Why does my interest bother you?”
“There you go again. You asked me another question. It’s like your analyzing me. Lets get back to my question. Why do you not like psychologists, psychiatrists, or therapists?”
“Look. I’ve seen many them throughout the years. All different kinds with many different letters before and after their names, and I’m living proof they can't help some brains. My brain is different.”
She reaches into her purse, and then hands me her business card.
I said to her. “Look. I mean no disrespect. But I can’t be helped…and I have papers to prove it.
My wife then walks over to where we were sitting and the lady shrink says to her.
“We’ve had quite the conversation. I’m looking forward to seeing your husband again.”
So on the drive home my wife asked me what we were talking about.
“I think she thinks I’m crazy.” I answered.

My wife yells. “OMG. I HAVE TO WORK WITH HER HUSBAND. What did you say to her? “
“I told her I was crazy and that I had papers to prove it. What’s the big deal?”
And then my wife has the nerve to say to me.
“I can’t believe it. I can’t take you anywhere.”

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Remember neurotics build castles in the sky psychotic live in them and psychiatrists collect the rent. Shel

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Know the feeling Frank.Got back from S Asia and a mandatory visit to Brain Dr. Walked in and he threw a heavy ashtray at me, I caught it, and flipped it on his desk. You Mad he said, no I said, but if you had hurt me I would have beat you to death with it. He looked at me and made a notification on a paper, Hostile he says, we finished I said , no I"m just getting started, I said you'll have to finish without me, you can't leave he said, What you gonna do, shoot me like they did in S Asia? With that I left, Commanding Officer ripped my ass, Chief ripped my ass, but I didn't go back. I believe I know who's crazy and it ain't me.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Any shrink worth their salt should have the coping mechanisms to deal with being "offended". :wink:

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Brad, that was GREAT!
I had a conversation with a shrink last year at another party who thought I was crazy to. Well, I'm almost crazy.

Seems like I attract those people...for some reason.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Any shrink worth their salt should have the coping mechanisms to deal with being "offended
Thanks, but I don't lose sleep over anything that happens in life. :lol:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I worked with psychology professors at a college for some time. They are the craziest ones there. So as they say it takes one (crazy) to know one.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Great stories. I'm just an amateur behavioralist... for kicks. Yeah lady shrink has self esteem issues and guy shrink is stupid. NEVER throw an ashtray at a Vet. A normal person would not do that, I'm guessing. :crazy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some go into psychiatry and psychology because they are trying to work on their own problems. Up to a point, that may not be a bad thing. Some of the most successful choose to treat mostly or only the worried well, people who are somewhat unhappy but completely functional. Those who deal with real mental illness, where there is often no complete cure or fix, carry an incredible burden. Like any profession that confers some arbitrary power, this work can bring out the worst in people and cause trouble for others. For those who do these jobs, and do good, that is a remarkable accomplishment. For the other half (okay that's a joke) best to avoid them. Working as a counselor for an institution whether it is a state or the military or whatever, in an inherent conflict of interest and an added challenge on top of an impossible challenge. Nonetheless, a general practitioner once reminded me, in reference to his own brother's problems, that depression is a life-threatening illness and must be treated when it's severe.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I once had a good friend who had been seeing a therapist for quite some time. When she stopped, I asked her why, her answer "I got tired of playing around in my own shit.", I still remember that answer 30 years later! She concluded it was one of the best decisions she ever made.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have known a lot of good shrinks, but history provides the verdict here: we now have over a century of psychology/psychiatry with no increase in general mental health, so it appears to be on its way out.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Many years ago my, at wits end, parents were told by a psychologist, "Warren simply does well in the classes he likes and has no interest in the ones he doesn't find interesting." I had told them the same thing, in different words, many weeks earlier. Sixth grade as I remember.
I believe they were looking for a solution where, in fact, there really wasn't one. If a teacher couldn't stimulate my interest, well today they would prescribe the drugs. Back then the teacher had other options. I was often blessed, in dull subjects, with instructors who knew when to apply these attention getting devices. KnowwhatImean?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
"Warren simply does well in the classes he likes and has no interest in the ones he doesn't find interesting."
The mark of the above-average intelligence in a class designed for hard-working averages to be the top of the curve.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Getting kids to "do" school can be as varied as terrorizing them in an effective way to indulging them by letting them read or otherwise work on something challenging they find interesting. The art of teaching is knowing what to do with which kid when. If you get it wrong, you do damage. If you do it right, you can feed their souls.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
There's an old joke that exactly sums up my opinion on psychology: Guy goes to a shrink, says "Doc, lately I've been having suicidal thoughts. Can you help me?" Doc says "Sure, in three easy steps." Guy says, "That's great! What's the first step?" Doc says, "Pay me in advance."

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Warren- I know exactly what you mean. I have a suspicion that I, and many other regular kids I went to school with, would today be drugged into a stupor by school shrinks.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
@Aldecaker and @Warren, when I was in school, I spent more time in the Dean's office and detention than class, yet I was a 4.0 student and it drove the schools crazy, because i was bored stiff. I too would have been drugged into submission. Now I'm just a pain in the ass in general.
Years ago I went to a counselor and she referred to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist visited with me for ten minutes, wrote a prescription and gave me some "samples". I never filled the prescription and I tossed the samples. I also never went back to the counselor.
Unfortunately it's like most things, people want an easy fix and hard work doesn't come easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.