PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Here she is:
kkL9u15m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow. That's a challenge, especially folding the various planes of the diamond shank into the base of the bowl so it looks natural. Nice job.

Mar 1, 2014
Is each quarter panel exactly the same size?
If you look down the side from button to bowl are the corners straight and sharp?

A few years ago I took it upon myself to clean up the shaping on a few factory made Bulldogs, not easy.

If I ever go to a pipe show (not likely) one of the things I'd most like to look for is a real symmetrical Bulldog. Anyone who can pull that off has my respect.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Is each quarter panel exactly the same size?
If you look down the side from button to bowl are the corners straight and sharp?

A few years ago I took it upon myself to clean up the shaping on a few factory made Bulldogs, not easy.

If I ever go to a pipe show (not likely) one of the things I'd most like to look for is a real symmetrical Bulldog. Anyone who can pull that off has my respect.

Is each quarter panel exactly the same size? I don't know, I didn't measure them. They appear so, and indeed they were laid out to be I Do know there is symmetry top to bottom and side to side.

If you look down the side from button to bowl are the corners straight and sharp? I confess I didn't do this till now. There is the slightest of curving noticeable as it reaches the bowl. I will have to work on this in future carves!

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
How’d you do the bead lines?
If by this you mean the rings, I used a 1/2" Skew tool sharpened well. I used the point of the skew with the tool turned up rather than the usual side on approach. Eventually I will own a 1/16th parting tool for this

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
The bowl looks very nice! Good work! Do you think you could build a Bulldog or Rhodesian without a lathe? I’m still relatively toolless - felt super adding a drill press! Drooling over lathes tho.

Reactions: adui

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
The bowl looks very nice! Good work! Do you think you could build a Bulldog or Rhodesian without a lathe? I’m still relatively toolless - felt super adding a drill press! Drooling over lathes tho.
Do I think I could? A resounding no. I've tried. Though I made a tool for my drill press that fixes the cone shape right, so with that maybe. I just don't think I am good enough yet.

That said, it can be done. It will take a lot longer and it it will be hard to get the lines as exact.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
As a side note. Watch craigslist, theres lathes on there often. I picked up my Craftsman 12" for $150

Status
Not open for further replies.