PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I love having a pipe in my mouth, could do it all day long, and I love the tastes of various tobaccos. But I find that trying to work while smoking is almost impossible, it gets me a little dizzy, and sometimes a little shaky, even with low nic blends, and especially on an empty stomach.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalized and corrected.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Nicotine doesn't love me either. I pace myself with the higher nic blends like some of the ropes, etc. The flavor is too good to miss, so I eat and have caffeine on hand when I smoke them. It helps. Also, I have learned to do 1/2 or even 1/4 bowls of the stronger stuff.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
That's probably a wise strategy wyfbane. I only smoke half bowls in my bigger pipes

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Interesting subject, for me, anyway.
So how do you know which blends have a higher nicotine level? You can't know unless you smoke them for a while, judge your reactions, and then compare them to other blends. In other words....it's a crap shoot. All arbitrary, all anecdotal...no nic content numbers, no science involved, just opinions. Welcome to the world of pipe-smoking.
I think from what I've read: blends with large proportions of Burleys are probably higher in nicotine than blends with the Virginias as the main tobacco? Let's just say this is true. This is a problem for those trying to avoid nicotine because the PROPORTIONS of tobaccos that are used in a blend are never noted....it's a secret recipe/formula, after all. Yes tobaccos used in a blend are sometimes listed, but not the proportions. Super value tobaccos (packed in bags the size of pillows) are probably loaded with cheaper Burleys, e.g. "Virginia Gold"...."SmoKer's Pride"..."Admiral's Choice"..."Bugler"...Carter Hall"..."Prince Albert"..."Half & Half", etc. All Burley-loaded blends, and all heavily flavored. Expect the nic hit from these. And, that's fine. They are what they are, i.e. cheaper, economical, blends. At least you know, up front, that Burley is the main ingredient in these blends, as stated.
But with the higher priced blends...who knows? I love to browse around the "Tobacco Reviews" site. The comments I read about many of the blends amuse me, even making me laugh at times. Wish there was a section listing nicotine content of blends from high to low. Now, that kind of information would be very helpful. Does anyone really give a flyin' fig about "room note"?
Frank

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Michael....thanks for that information. Having recently rekindled my interests in pipe smoking, I realize that I have a lot of catching up to do.
Had no idea Tobacco Reviews had nicotine-strength noted. I guess I looked in the wrong location. Where on the TR site do I look for the nic-strength of the various blends?
I have a "Pipe and Cigars" catalog open in front of me. I read flowery descriptions about the blends...and that's it. Sometimes the words..."robust"..."full flavored"..."rich-aromatic" are noted, but nicotine strength...who knows? Page 36... lists fourteen of the Cornell & Diehl blends...not one of the fourteen, mentions nicotine. I'm stumped.
What am I missing? I would love to know where to find this information.
Frank

Yeh, and maybe body chemistry plays into a bit, as friend of mine thinks PS LTF is really strong, but I find it doesn't do much for me, nicotine-wise. Also. some people do not get any effects from perique, while some will feel it strong. According to Mark Ryan it isn't the nicotine in perique, but other formulations of the chemicals that enhances the nicotine in the leaves mixed with it. So, the whole matter can get rather muddy.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Thank you all for helping me find this information, and for the helpful suggestions.
I just took another look on the "Tobacco Review"s site and now have become aware that the nicotine-strength is noted in the "STRENGTH" ratings, listed above the review comments. Missed this. Thanks.
As for catalog listings.....what's the tip off for nic-strength. Do words like "robust".... "full-flavored"....etc, mean higher nic levels?
All interesting to me.
Frank

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
I love pipe tobacco but also very much enjoy the nicotine.

But as others have said it’s very personal.

Robust and full-flavored seem like they describe the flavors. I would think strong and strength would be indicators of nicotine. Also, avoid labels on tins stating that the tobacco is for the "experienced pipe smoker." This means it is deemed very strong.

If you are an aromatic smoker, all of Lane's and Sutliff's products are very weak in nicotine. Also, burleys can be devoid of nicotine (especially the ones used in aromatics), and some Virginia blends will pound down a newbie, like Royal Yacht or GH&co Dark Flake or rope tobaccos. These use the darker Virginia varieties.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Your first mistake if your a nic light weight is smoking on an empty stomach. Nicotine causes your blood sugar to drop. Have something to eat first.
Also smoke slooooow. Over time you'll build up a tolerance. I've never felt the effects from nicotine while smoking a pipe but once in a blue moon I do from cigars.

Status
Not open for further replies.