PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
so far I have not had good luck with FVF. I've tried fold and stuff, and cube cut. Cube cut was a little more succesful, but still a PIA and completely lacking in any flavor.

I have not had this issue with other flakes and coins, although it did take some practice to get the others to burn well.

Not giving up yet, but I have kind of lost the motivation to try FVF for now.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Cant say I have that problem. The only baccy I have problems keeping lit is SPC plum pudding and only when I'm super lazy and try to stuff entire huge squares into my pipe. Erindale flake is probably my most troublesome, but even then 15 min on the wax warmer to get her almost bone dry I never have problems

Rub it out until there is no sign it was a flake works for me, mostly. Besides, regarding the troublesome flakes, I find I can make a bowl last a whole movie if it goes out every minutes or so. It doesn't bother me much if I have the time. I know the problem flakes and I just smoke them when I have the time to enjoy..

Reactions: jpmcwjr

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I have never smoked Full Virginia Flake, though I enjoy the plug version. I found out that it helps me, when the plug is really deconstructed into its single fibres.

I recently made the discovery, that the flakes break up much better, when they are warm. Since that I use to place the flakes under a hot light bulb to get warm. Then I rub them out until they are fully broken. After that I let them dry on under the light bulb.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I'm experimenting with FVF these days and, as others say, rubbing it out completely and drying works. I felt guilty to break the flakes of one of the finest tobaccos but we will get there one day, or better, one year.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No guilt! The magic of flakes is in the making of the blend, not in smoking them unbroken, though that can be fun and or frustrating. I tend to rub them out and then dry for a bit more uniform smoke.

Reactions: luigi and burleyboy
Status
Not open for further replies.