PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I beg your pardon. I am so fond of pouch and tub blends, I can't find my unopened tins of McClelland and original Dunhill blends. Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. I'm also one of the resident fanciers of down market pipes.

ScruffyPiper

Lurker
Jun 11, 2020
Nowheresville, PA
Thanks for posting this. I myself do love many of the tobaccos I've tried. There are also tobaccos in most styles that I really enjoy. There are a few blends that I've passed on to others when I realized that they weren't for me but most are smokable...and enjoyably so.

Now, there are a few I've found over the years that are pretty darn tasty and I've discovered the miracle of aging tobaccos that I wasn't fond of but in general, all but a few have been enjoyable on some level.

Still can't bring myself to try Mixture 79 or Captain Black Grape though.

I have to agree, even just the thought of a grape flavored pipe tobacco is pretty repulsive. That said, I'm sure I would probably like this stuff in spite of myself ?

Reactions: captainsousie

ScruffyPiper

Lurker
Jun 11, 2020
Nowheresville, PA
I think you've missed the point. You don't want to like stuff. You need to sit down with your pipe, find the slow cadence needed to discern the nuances of flavor in a blend and try and find something not to like.
When you have disliked enough aromatics and OTC's, you can slowly start disliking certain va/pers and straight virginias.
A select few get to dislike the most sought after and praised blends, like an origininal Wills Capstan Flake or a tin of Bell's Three Nuns from the 70's.

I completely understand what you're saying, although I'm not sure I like the idea of disliking blends being one of my main objectives in pipe smoking. I will be the first to admit however that my palate is a work in progress.

ScruffyPiper

Lurker
Jun 11, 2020
Nowheresville, PA
I started with Aromatics because I didn't know any better and now I can't enjoy them at all, there's way too many genres that are better tasting for me now. Germain's, Dan Tobacco, Samuel Gawith, Gawith Hogarth, G. L. Pease and some others have created so many masterpieces that it would take a few lifetimes to enjoy them all.

Welcome!

I seriously regret all of the money I wasted on aros when I began this adventure. I think many a piper share this tragic tale. I wish I would have read up a bit more before striking that first match, because now I have hundreds of dollars worth of fruity blends that I have very little inclination to reach for. I'm going to try mixing them with some 5 bros to beef them up .

ScruffyPiper

Lurker
Jun 11, 2020
Nowheresville, PA
Same here, 7 months in - tried 35+ different blends and not found one I don't like; the spectrum covers aromatics, vapers, burleys lakelands,, ropes, you name it. Struggling a little with Haunted Bookshop, but I don't dis-like it.. yet.
Stick with the HB. I wasn't blown away on the first bowl, but this has become one of my staples. I liken it to prince albert on steroids. Great with a cup of coffee in the morning.

Mar 29, 2016
Then you are lucky! You'll never be without something you like, or stuck with something you don't. I'm not quite as lucky, but MOST blends I've tried, I've found something I like about them.
I seriously regret all of the money I wasted on aros when I began this adventure. I think many a piper share this tragic tale. I wish I would have read up a bit more before striking that first match, because now I have hundreds of dollars worth of fruity blends that I have very little inclination to reach for. I'm going to try mixing them with some 5 bros to beef them up .
When I started, more than thirty years ago, there was no internet and even at that time, not many pipe smokers. My only information source was the tobacconist who sold me my first pipe and she recommended an Aro. About ten years after, I discovered by chance Virginia flakes and this opened my interest for other pipe tobaccos. Now, the new generation of pipe smokers have it all made with the internet, forums and the possibility to buy pipes and tobaccos with a few clicks is a huge improvement.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Welcome Scruffy, I am just trying to figure out your avatar picture...have concluded that it must be jars you have permanently tied in to a scruffy beard so as to have a little bit of everything permanently on hand...leaving not quite enough photo space for the rest of your face???

cheers
Isaac

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
First time poster, hello to all you beautiful, glorious leaf lovers!

First off, I would like to point out the obvious by saying there are a lot of discerning pipe smokers on this forum. A lot of experienced palates that know EXACTLY what they are looking for in a blend. A lot of "this tobacco will make you see god" and also quite a bit of "I wouldn't smoke this trash if it was the last combustible plant matter on planet Earth" and "you'd be better off literally rubbing out a dried cat turd and stuffing that in your pipe rather than this OTC blend of tobacco". I think a lot of this is down to plain snobbery, as well as almost all human being's tendency to make bold statements on the internet.

I will be the first to say, I am not a baccy aficionado. In fact, I'm fairly new (like 6 months of piping, preceded by 10 years of cigar smoking). I have tried every different type of blend available in many various forms, strengths, consistencies, flavors etc. etc...

What prompted me to post this is the fact that I seem to enjoy every single solitary one of them, to varying degrees of course.

Fancy English blends? Delicious though I wouldn't want them every day all day.
Cheap OTC Burleys like Prince Albert or Carter Hall ? Yummy! Especially in the morning with a cuppa! (I really want this phrase to catch on in the states...because it's adorable)
Vaper and Va flakes are my favs so far especially Escudo and Bullseye Flake.
I've tried and loved many different Oriental and Baltic blends like bijou and plum pudding and loved them, though I would put them in the same "not all the time" category as English blends.
My least favorite (no surprise) would be Aromatic blends, but I find some enjoyment in them, especially of sipped really slowly.

The point I'm attempting to make is that I have mostly enjoyed and found something to like about pretty much every single pipe tobacco I have ever tried. I have never even considered giving up on a bowl and dumping it early. I think I just like to smoke stuff lol.

Am I alone? Is there anyone else out there that likes em all??

**sorry for the long ass post..and I'm sure I forgot several subcategories of tobacco**
This isn't Pokemon. LOL. Actually, I quite agree. I choose varieties/blends to suit my mood so having so much to choose from is a good thing. Either that or I'm just a moody bastard. ?

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo scruf - welcome from West Chester. Are you in the Southeast? There are two wonderful pipe clubs: the downtown Philly one meets monthly (before the Pandemic, that is) at the Pen & Pencil Club. The Lehigh Valley PC is younger but very enthusiastic, meeting at The Wooden Match in Bethlehem. In fact, we are giving their great outdoor patio a try on the 23rd.

hp
les