PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
When it's hot outside, I do smoke more cigars. I'm supposed to be rolling some this week but crap important matters keep arising.
Here's one of my more recent hand-rolled ... Dominican filler, Indonesian wrapper:
16%2B-%2B1

From the B&M:
16%2B-%2B1

16%2B-%2B1

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Pipes and cigars is like chess vs. go or Glocks vs.1911s or blondes versus brunettes.
The answer is "both".

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sometimes only a cigar will fit the situation.
This is very true... but am I broken in that right afterwards, I want to walk around for a few minutes then light up a pipe?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
'Sometimes only a cigar will fit the situation'
One of the best cigar quotes I have ever heard [:)] I am making this my signature right now if it is allowed, Warren.
Don't bother asking Warren for permission as I believe Monica Lewinsky said it first.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Interesting. I cannot claim to be an expert, but I find the full-strength cigars deliver quite a Nicotine hit, but it is not like that delivered by pipe or cigarette (each of which is quite different from the other). It is both more subtle and more formidable, where the pipe tends to give more warning of the freight train coming!
I have had a similar experience. I feel that the cigar leaf is actually a lower in nicotine content (or whatever content that I can absorb), but it is simply a very large amount of tobacco--i.e., if I sliced it and smoked it in a pipe, it would be quite a few bowls. So, a medium amount of nicotine over a long period.
A bowl of the stronger pipe tobacco hits me quite hard pretty quickly, as I think it's a higher nicotine leaf, but much less of it. I can only imagine the nicotine hit if one were to re-roll a Gawith twist as a cigar and smoke it.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I nearly started a thread to bitch about how I've slid back into cigarettes a bit (I don't buy factory class "A"s; I stuff the real leaf into empty filtered tubes through a process best left for another forum). But all this talk about cigars makes me feel a little better about this. In addition to the racks full of briars and old codger tubs full of cobs and leaf filled jars, I like to keep a humidor box full of stogies ready for when the urge hits me.
Though I do enjoy a pipe when I consume alcoholic beverages, I very rarely drink. On those rare occasions when I drink, I drink too much. But once in a while, I still like to drink too much.
:twisted:
I actually prefer to smoke cigars when I imbibe. Most alcoholic beverages, to my tastes (I know, others have different opinions on this) interfere with my enjoyment of a good pipe ... not to mention I prefer not to subject my pipes to my klutzy behavior in these instances. I cigar will get through just about anything taste-wise, my pipes are safely out of my hands, and at least I'm not smoking most of a pack of American Spirits in one sitting like I did for years.
I used to smoke cigars when out fishing. The pipe's taken over in that space lately ...

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I'm actually tempted to try it. I'm watching a video on rolling cigars right now, and I kind of think I could do it.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
I walk both paths, happily. I began smoking cigars at age 11, and my love of a good cigar has never left me. I have recently returned to pipe smoking after a gap of roughly 30 years. I am smoking St Bruno's and I have also purchased a very nice herbal smoke, which has chamomile, liquourice root and a few other herbs, its a very nice smoke too. I have been given some suggestions as to other blends which I will look into.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I wonder what would happen if you took one of those blunt wrappers and rolled pipe tobacco in it.
Probably instant death, but if not, maybe it would be good.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am not so organized. I visit a cigar shop in the Heights and one in Austin, and whatever they are willing to sell to me, I enjoy :)

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
fearsclave...+1

Smoke cigars (1 -2) every evening with adult beverages & Pipes all day long & after dinner.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
If I'm in the house, it's a pipe all the way. But this summer I've been on the go more and it's a hot and humid one, so I've smoked more cigars since May than I have for the last 10 years.
I have noticed my tastes in both cigar size and type is totally different. I used to smoke only Churchills or Toros, and preferred stronger cigars like Partagas and such. Now I prefer the lightest Connecticut wrapped sticks, like Don Diego, Butera, Leon Jimenez or Ashton, and usually in a Corona.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
Regarding nicotine content that has come up in a couple of posts above, I must be smoking some pretty weak pipe tobacco (or I'm smoking my pipe wrong). The only pipe tobacco I've gotten a heavy nicotine buzz from was Peterson's Irish Flake. I almost always get a moderate to heavy nicotine buzz from cigars (maybe I smoke those differently as well).
And just to clarify, I have a fairly similar cadence when smoking either - puff-puff-pause or puff-puff-puff-pause.

Status
Not open for further replies.