PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
How on earth do you smoke a P -Lip? I have this pipe since May I believe, by Peterson. I don't smoke it day in and day out as it is filterless, but I do enjoy every so often. I can't just figure out how on earth are you supposed to clench this P-Lip. I mean, if I try to rest te lower part on my lower jaw teeth it's quite uncomfortable, as I have to bring the whole lower jaw forward. If I insert it in my mouth beyond the P and the lower marker, in hangs out of my mouth pretty neatly, but it's quite unstable. So what am I missing?

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
I Don't think you're missing anything. I've smoked Peterson P-Lips for years, and unless you're a contortionist, I don't think it was meant to be a clencher. I don't always use them, but at times, they can bring out the flavors in Aromatics and of course the system works great with this. Maybe others are better with this issue, BUT...
Dan

Reactions: madox07

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
This is the best article I've read on how to smoke and clean a system pipe with the p-lip. It was enlightening.
Andy Wike’s Guide to the System Pipe
https://www.petersonpipenotes.org/2019/08/27/145-andy-wikes-guide-to-the-system-pipe/

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
If it's a bent, it just hangs on your lower teeth. You don't really clench, you just kind of compress the lips and it stays there as long as you're not prancing about. If it's a straight, I have no idea. Don't own one, but it seems like it would be an impediment. I can take or leave them. They don't bother me (on a bent), even though I hated them at first, they hang pretty easily, and the upward-directed smoke over the tongue sort of works. But I don't seek them out.

Reactions: craiginthecorn

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Neat article. It almost made me want to buy a Peterson System Pipe (eeek!). Two things still prevent me, though:
1) "the unique graduated bore of the mouthpiece made the suction 15 times weaker when it reached the tobacco chamber...".
Well, wouldn't the taper actually make the smoke to travel faster in the thinner section, thus leading to tongue burn? (Unless this doesn't happen because the smoke has been cooled by the chamber at this point... hmm.)
2) The hole opening upwards.
2.a) The P-lip might be OK for clenchers, but I'm not one. When I draw the button is never beyond my teeth, but between my lips. Yeah, I draw as from a straw, and I must ALWAYS hold the pipe with my hand to prevent it from falling off my mouth, since my lips are too weak to hold it. I just can't draw with the button past my teeth, unless I'm doing the breath method and I stopped that because it was irritating my throat.
2.b) If the smoke still comes hot enough, by directing it upwards instead of towards the tongue, you'll hit the palate, whose epithelium isn't as strong as the tongue, with a blast of heat. I think I'd end up with a worse burn elsewhere.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Over the past couple of years I've switched to P-Lip pipes and now prefer them. I'm even thinking of sending my FT pipes to Peterson to have them make P-Lip stems.
I wanted a new pipe for walking the new dog so I grabbed a Savinelli Dry System. It fit all of my wants. A bigger button to better hang in my teeth, a liquid well for when I smoke "mouth watering" tobacco's, and a military mount for stem removal for the above liquid causing tobaccos. I figured if I didn't like the filter I can smoke it without it. I love the filter for those certain "mouth watering" tobaccos. Maybe I created a need that wasn't there but now I'm hooked.
IMG-20181221-092122-DRO.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have been so afraid of p lips. The way I clench, the smoke goes to the roof of my mouth anyways. I've never gotten tongue bite, but I get raw roof often.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My knee jerk reaction is that I'd probably not like a P-Lip, so I've not yet done so. However, every time Mercury goes into retrograde, I get the odd sensation that maybe a P-Lip is something to try.

I recently dug a Grabow Omega out of the reserve box and began smoking it. It does not have a P-Lip but the shape is close, from what I can tell. The draft hole still emerges in the traditional spot, rather than on top, but the rest of the shape is P-Lip like.

I need more time to determine is I like it. It's feeling like it may be one of those love/hate things. If anyone has used both the Grabow Omega bit and the P-Lip, please offer us a comparison.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have two p lips and I enjoy them on occasion. The lack of suction is not something I have encountered. The smoke on the roof of the mouth does not bother me as I don't freight train my pipes. I will purchase more eventually.

Last edited:

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I have around 20 Pete's; of which 6 are P-Lips. I'm happy smoking both the P-Lip and FT but if anything I prefer the P-Lips.

Reactions: leacha

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
They work great if you install a rubber stem bit. I put those things on all my pipes. It adds to my relaxation knowing I have less of a chance to damage my pipe. :)

How would that work? I mean the rubber bit covers the stem end entirely, and that works fine with stems that have a regular draw, but putting a rubber bit over the P would cover the draft hole, or you mean pushing the bit further down ?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
You slide the rubber bit down until it is under the draft hole. It takes some getting used to but it does work for clenching

Status
Not open for further replies.