I Hated Half & Half—Because of the Burley?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Half and Half is not a good representation of burley. It's all about that gross, overly sweet Play Dough topping. Same with Velvet and Paladin.

Apr 2, 2024
Eastern CT
Turns out it was just operator error, for me. I like half and half, and more burley-heavy codger-ish blends, when I can get them going right. I don't even get the anise or spice notes that others dislike in half and half, although I did spike mine with a dribble of bourbon before packing it in a jar for a while, after the first unpleasant experience.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Turns out it was just operator error, for me. I like half and half, and more burley-heavy codger-ish blends, when I can get them going right. I don't even get the anise or spice notes that others dislike in half and half, although I did spike mine with a dribble of bourbon before packing it in a jar for a while, after the first unpleasant experience.
So it was an elaborate hoax to get @AJL67’s address😆
Actually, I’m with @Non-Mentholated Black Man on this one.
Cheers!

• Haha
Reactions: walkingpipeguy

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I'd have to agree with some posters. It's probably not the burley as much as the toppings. A very popular tobacco. I smoke it occasionally and really like burley but those toppings they use are very different.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
To be honest I feel every OTC is bland. CB has a great room note but too bland for me.
Oh, I don't know about that. St Bruno is decent, not so sure about Condor - you couldn't call it bland, though. But that's UK OTC (if you can find any retailers selling pipe tobacco in southern England.... grump grump)

Reactions: eljimmy

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Half and Half is not a good blend for my tastes. Whatever topping that is just doesn’t do it for me. It also bites the crap out of me. Plenty of other good blends out there.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Acquired taste. Like Granger. I learned to love beer, whiskey to coffee in my life. Hell, I even love cow small intestines. I still don't like Granger. Half &Half is okay. But prefer Carter Hall, and Capt. Black Royal from codger blends.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant