Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

What I did was certainly not the right way to do it, but it worked out well
I've found that even when I totally have botched according to the "rules" that I still end up with something that tastes great. I think that the guidelines for curing are mainly to get a consistent product year after year, farm compared to farm. But, really sometimes stepping outside of these has the potential to give you an even more interesting product.
The year that I just threw the African Virginias into a cooler and forgot about them for a few years gave me a twist that I have been enjoying the hell out of for the last few days.

Earlier in my tobacco growing, I had this assumption that I had to case my leaf. So, I told myself that if I was going to case it, I’d use honey to prevent mold. It took me a few years to realize that there is no reason to case. I enjoy it so much more now.
But, to make a blend, all of my earlier stuff has that honey casing. So, I blend non cased with the cased.
But, after this year, I will be able to enjoy it all unadulterated going forward. It’s so much better this way, IMO.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Earlier in my tobacco growing, I had this assumption that I had to case my leaf. So, I told myself that if I was going to case it, I’d use honey to prevent mold. It took me a few years to realize that there is no reason to case. I enjoy it so much more now.
But, to make a blend, all of my earlier stuff has that honey casing. So, I blend non cased with the cased.
But, after this year, I will be able to enjoy it all unadulterated going forward. It’s so much better this way, IMO.
Since it appears I am destined for a second picking of the Smyrna.. I reckon Ill try it both ways.. one cased, one not..

Because.... why not? :D

I honestly have no idea.... they case everything with something dont they?
Well, it might depend on who the "they" is, but just my tractor riding, sun addled brain, I would think that with orientals, you are trying to gain the flavor of the variety to use as a flavoring for the other leaf it is blended with. but, give it a whirl.

Casings are mostly added to brand a variety and/or to make commercial blends stay consistent year after year as the different varieties change flavors due to environmental reasons.
For the homegrower, you can do whatever you want. But, for me, I've grown fond of just letting age do it's thing and mix and smoke it as unadulterated as possible.

Early on, I was thinking that it had to have a casing also, because that's almost all we get to chose from among corporate brands. But now, I'm not so sure it is 100% necessary. IMO

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
The cardboard box yellowing is going well. I’ve put the burley up to air dry. The Virginia’s I’m sun drying after yellowing. They seem to be drying paler than the ones in did in the hot shed. Dunno if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.
Assuming they are from the same priming level, it's a good thing. Should be closer to flue cured flavour.