PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hi guys, I've been enjoying the occasional cigar for years now but last year tried my hand at pipe smoking. Well my first try was a disaster and disappointing. Well i didn't totally give up and would occasionally try it but without the taste and experience I expected. So over some time, and some research here and there I must have improved my technique until... Ok about a month a go I fill my pipe up lightly on bottom , tighter on top with some Bulk Black vanilla cavendish(McClellan VBC)? I sit outside on the deck and stretch out my legs and light up, minutes later, its like hey I taste it!, its cool, dry and only 1 mid bowl relight! Its been great ever since and have realized this is one great relaxing hobby..
Can anyone here relate?

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I can kind of relate. I was an "occasional" pipe smoker for about 5 years before taking it on full time. Mostly my issue was the inability to smoke without burning my poor tongue to pieces. While I enjoyed my pipe, I suffered for a good day or two afterwards because of the tongue bite so I only smoked maybe once every month or two. I blame this mostly on poor technique (smoking WAAAAY too hard and fast) and poor choice of tobaccos from my local "Discount Tobacco" outlet.
When I finally got sick of spending almost $100 a week on cigarettes and put them down, I turned to my trusty old pipe to help me stay off the coffin nails. MAN, that first month was ROUGH. It's a wonder my tongue didn't pack up and LEAVE my mouth forever the way I was abusing it.
Eventually I improved my technique and started to learn which blends bit me and which didn't. Since then it's been smooth sailing and a wonderful world of ENJOYABLE smoking rather than simply satisfying an addiction. I can't imagine ever going back to cigs after experiencing the joy of pipe smoking.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Hey Tinsel , good for you. Its nice to smoke when you want and not because you have too.

Mar 1, 2014
From what I can gather your tongue just needs to become acclimatised to smoke before you can taste anything else at the same time. Spicy foods work roughly the same, when the base flavour is very strong you can't distinguish anything else until you've had enough exposure.

That said, I advise caution for your first few months of regular pipesmoking, there were a few times where I definitely burned myself puffing too hard (usually while lighting) and it's hard to tell while it's happening.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Itstone, indeed I can relate. I first tried smoking a pipe in University. All I did was blister some pipes and burn the living bejeepers out of my tongue. I stopped smoking a pipe very quickly.
Fast forward 25 years (that number has to be incorrect lol) and I decided to try again. This time I found this Forum and read everything I could find on pipe smoking. I figured out how smoke a pipe rather than have it smoke me! I found the ritual and relaxation I was looking for. The tastes, ahhhhhhhh the tastes I found them also.
Now I am kicking myself for missing 25 years of bliss!! Good luck and many happy smokes to you.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
It's nice to just sit outside and have a cigar while reading, but with a pipe I find it harder to read because I find my self contemplating more. Its true pipe smoking really forces you to slow down and enjoy the moment. Like you guys eluded to, sip slow and control the flow. Funny how there is so much to something that looks so simple but that's the beauty of the pipe. Anyway my wife just brought me a bunch of blends from the USA (im in Canada) so maybe I'll post my impressions in the review section later..

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Some of our best 'friends' are Canadian.

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your pipe and tobacco successes!

This website is a great place for information and inspiration.

Happy New Year!

Mike

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
yes I think pipe smoking does indeed relaxes one mind, I took months for me to actually learn how to smoke properly, and I can taste the tobacco now, especially if you exhale out the nose the taste increases tenfold!!! my tongue does not burn any more and the slow sips ensure for a cooler smoke and more flavorful tobacco.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Thanks for the warm welcome fellers. And I see who the resident trouble maker is cough, cough Brewshooter ... :)

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
One of the main problems for those new to the pipe is that many tobacconists will advise starting off with aromatic or straight Virginia tobacco. I think this is wrong as these tobaccos can be hot and bite if not smoked correctly. Personally, I would recommend that one begins with an English blend and once the basics have been mastered, then explore other tobaccos. The basics of packing, lighting, smoking style and pipe differ for each individual, so all one can do is experiment!
One other thing for any who have not tried it, is the breath smoke. This doesn't suit everyone of course and takes some practice, but it changed my life! Two good youtube links below.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8Sfg6EH9k
www.youtube.com/watch?v=04amKgOzVhM

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
One of the main problems for those new to the pipe is that many tobacconists will advise starting off with aromatic or straight Virginia tobacco. I think this is wrong as these tobaccos can be hot and bite if not smoked correctly
I agree with the Va, but if you start with a quality aro that isn't gooping wet with humidicant it can be a pleasurable experience. McClellend's makes good aro's.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
As a beginner I totally agree with the quality aro or english. After trying a bunch a drugstore aro's and not getting much taste I thought ok I'll go in a completely different direction so I got a tin of Dunhill Nightcap, if you cant taste that then you need to forget a bout pipe smoking. I found the Nightcap to actually be kind of mild than even alot of aros but with loads of flavour just not my everyday kind of thing, its too umm stout??.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
If I could go back I would try a vanilla black cavendish or Sutliffs Vanilla custard, that one is so mellow I didn't even need a coffee to go with it and it had that pipe smell and taste that I expected at the time..

Status
Not open for further replies.