PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So last night I had my 1st Flake. We had our monthly meeting for the Seattle Pipe Club and phillip (member here) brought over for me to try. He patiently showed me how to rub it out and another folding method. So all of you were 100% right - it was no big deal. That said, I have to say I didnt love the tobacco taste. It was a mild HH Virginia. So far, I am just not enjoying the Virginias. I bought a tin of English to try that out. At least I no longer have a fear of the Flake though. Does anyone have a good Flake Aro I should try out? Cheers Phillip and thanks for the help.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You know, I don't really smoke aromatics but I do try to keep aware of what all is out there. And, for the life of me, I can't think of a single aromatic that is sold as a flake. (Unless things like Erinmore Flake qualify.)
Curious to see what suggestions you get.
Bob

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The only way I like Virginia's is to use a clean, dedicated pipe strictly for Virginia tobaccos, and smoke them first thing in the morning. The ones I have tried are subtle sweet, almost like a red wine. In any other pipes they seem like ash to me.

Wessex Burley Sliced is a good flake tobacco, has a licorice like finish, reminds me of the old Edgeworth slices. It's not aromatic, but I think you would enjoy it.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Two Flake aros are Erinmore ( which I highly recommend) http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/erinmore-flake

and McB Vanilla Cream Flake http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/mac-baren-vanilla-cream-flake

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would first start with a full flavored flake such as Escudo. Then you might want to try Peterson Univerity flake as that is definitely an aromatic flake. If you like a rum topping I would suggest GL Pease Navigator and Rotary Navy Cut, both are favorites of mine. I would also suggest you cube cut the flake next time, I find I get the best smoke using that method. Also you want to have a clean pipe that is not ghosted with aromatics or Latakia, that will make a big difference in your ability to taste the Virginia's.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
+1 Harris, I start the day with BBF, just a great pairing with my black tea. VA flake should always be cubed, there are plenty of things to rub, nice flakes are not. You miss out on a slow burning consistant hour of enjoyment. Take the time, the reward is worth it.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
If you enjoy English blends, I would suggest looking into some of the Gawith (both SG and GH) flakes like GH Bob's Chocolate Flake and SG Navy (rum). I would also suggest not giving up on Va's just yet - they cover the gambit from mildly sweet and grassy to sweet cherry notes, with everything from citrus notes to caramel inbetween - it may be that the flavour profile of that particular flake didn't agree with you. I personally don't enjoy blends of the ilk of Orlik Golden Sliced, but I would be remiss to not include straight Va's in my rotation.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Most of the tobaccos I really enjoy are flakes and coins, come to think about it...
orlik golden sliced

mb vanilla flake

mb hh old dark fired

erinmore flake

mb navy flake

mb club blend

mb dark twist

escudo

rainer long golden

stokebye 1931

marlin flake

hal o wynd

sg best brown

sg full virginia flake

solani aged burley flake

wessex gold brick

germain best brown

germain special ltakia flake
the list goes on. makes me wonder ... maybe the pressing into cakes and aging gives those wonderfully intense and complex flavors ... ?

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
zo - if you want hefty aromatic flakes, give Gawith Hoggarth scented flakes a shot.

hfearly - pressing does intensify the flavor and volume of smoke. For a nominal fee, C&D will press any of their blends for you.
hp

les

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks guys. I think Im going to stick w the Aros for now. When I spoke Phillip's HH last night, as I said, it was just OK and it didnt really resonate with me. Right afterwards I fired up a bowl of Lane BCA and really loved it. Who knows what the future holds but I'll no longer discount aro flakes.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
mrg - re "....where/how can I get in contact to get my C&D blends pressed??? "
if you order directly (by phone) from C&D, they can do the pressing. I think Mike at marscigars can have it done by special order.
hp

les

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
hey mrgunnar177, I wonder if the WA state law will come into affect regarding shipping to/from WA state. Don't know.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks Roth. I am going to try the Vanilla Flake. Probably start with 1 tin and see how I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.