PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Lanes 1Q was the best selling bulk blend we had in all three stores. It is the same tobacco, or was in the 1980s, as Captain Black in the blue package. The only difference being the package tobacco had some glycerin added to keep it moist in the plastic pouch. That sometimes caused bitterness when people smoked it. If they bitterness and tongue bite from the Captain Black we would recommend the 1Q and most people found it much better than the pre-packaged version.
I always found 1Q to be too sweet and too moist for my taste.

Reactions: canucklehead

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Good that you found a new blend you like. I think 1Q was similar to a Captain Black tobacco I smoked many years ago.
It is CB, White iirc. RLP-6 is a CB blend too. There's really no sense in getting CB because 1Q and RLP-6 are much cheaper and less PG laden but identical otherwise.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Lanes 1Q was the best selling bulk blend we had in all three stores. It is the same tobacco, or was in the 1980s, as Captain Black in the blue package. The only difference being the package tobacco had some glycerin added to keep it moist in the plastic pouch. That sometimes caused bitterness when people smoked it. If they bitterness and tongue bite from the Captain Black we would recommend the 1Q and most people found it much better than the pre-packaged version.
I always found 1Q to be too sweet and too moist for my taste.
I am glad you mentioned the additive in the pouched Royal. I can definitely tell the difference between that and 1Q.
jef

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I only tired CB in the blue bag once and I much prefer CB Gold (it's one of my go-to tobaccos). To me the Lane 1Q doesn't taste anything like CB Gold, but I don't remember much about CB Royal to say.

I did some yardwork late yesterday afternoon and went through quite a bit of Lane 1Q (nod to the lawnmower blend thread). I don't normally smoke that much in day.

When I woke up this AM it seemed like something had crawled into my mouth overnight to die. So while 1Q is a great smoke, the lingering aftertaste can be a bit rough. Nothing some black coffee didn't knock out in short order, though. But still, damn.

In all reality, anytime I buy something out of one of those big jars in a shop, there is really no way to know what I'm actually getting. Even the stuff that comes in sealed pouches or tins could really be anything. I have sensed inconsistencies in some of my favorite tobaccos over the years. It always leaves me wondering if it's my taste that changes, or if the manufacturers change things up from time to time.

A great example was the last tin of Carter Hall I bought. It didn't taste like CH used to taste - to me anyway. To my taste, CH has always had this faint hint of raisins or dates, almost like a good fruitcake was mixed into some excellent middle-of-the-road tobacco. I need to try some again since it's been a number of years now.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I only tired CB in the blue bag once and I much prefer CB Gold (it's one of my go-to tobaccos). To me the Lane 1Q doesn't taste anything like CB Gold, but I don't remember much about CB Royal to say.

I did some yardwork late yesterday afternoon and went through quite a bit of Lane 1Q (nod to the lawnmower blend thread). I don't normally smoke that much in day.

When I woke up this AM it seemed like something had crawled into my mouth overnight to die. So while 1Q is a great smoke, the lingering aftertaste can be a bit rough. Nothing some black coffee didn't knock out in short order, though. But still, damn.

In all reality, anytime I buy something out of one of those big jars in a shop, there is really no way to know what I'm actually getting. Even the stuff that comes in sealed pouches or tins could really be anything. I have sensed inconsistencies in some of my favorite tobaccos over the years. It always leaves me wondering if it's my taste that changes, or if the manufacturers change things up from time to time.

A great example was the last tin of Carter Hall I bought. It didn't taste like CH used to taste - to me anyway. To my taste, CH has always had this faint hint of raisins or dates, almost like a good fruitcake was mixed into some excellent middle-of-the-road tobacco. I need to try some again since it's been a number of years now.

Sam,
If I remember correctly from my ears in the smoke shops, Captain Black Gold is the same blend as Lane's BLWB (Burley Light Without a Bite).
1Q is Captain Black Blue and Captain Black in the white package is RLPS. That's as I remember it from 30 years ago. Those three Lane blends were three of our best selling bulk tobaccos.

You bring up another interesting point, that of there being inconsistencies between batches of tinned tobaccos. In the 1980s my go-to tobacco was Capstan Blue Flake.
There were a number of employees who smoked Virginia Flakes and since we smoked the same tobacco and the majority of the time, our taste became very finely tuned to that tobacco. One of the other employees smoked Dunhill light flake. Both of us would notice differences between batches of our primary tobacco. I even got into an friendly argument with a Salesman who said there was no difference between batches of tinned tobacco. There were a couple of other employees standing around and we all three told him he didn't know what he was talking about because he didn't smoke a pipe all the time. He smoked a pipe occasionally but smoked cigarettes and cigars primarily. His taste was not dialed in to a single primary tobacco, therefore he could taste the nuances between batches.
I smoked some some Capstan Blue ready rubbed that was from the late seventies, iirc, and it was quite different from the ready rubbed Capstan Blue of the 1980s. It seems there was a shortage of Virginias that year and the manufacturer used Rhodesian red Virginia. I must say it was quite tasty and far better than the ready rubbed that I had smoked from the 1980s. Granted, some of the difference could be attributed to the tobacco being aged in the tin,

I believe that availability of quality tobaccos due to weather, drought, Etc may play a big role in the consistency of the flavor of a tobacco from one year to next.

I think you were also correct when you say it could be your taste. I know my taste changes from time to time, perhaps a cold or allergies will affects my ability to taste and my tobacco just won't taste right. But sooner or later my taste goes back to normal and the same tin of tobacco taste as I thought it should.

There are probably multiple other factors that affect the consistency of the flavor that I have not thought of.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
To me, 1Q is vile. There is nothing about it that I like. Although I do suspect that just the tobacco, minus the toppings, would be enjoyable.

As they say, though, that’s why they make vanilla AND chocolate!

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I'm glad I went entirely non-aromatic for a while. I'd had bad experiences with holiday aromatics that had cinnamon and other flavorings that probably shouldn't have been used and that imparted a biting chemical burn along with a dismal aftertaste.

But now I enjoy aromatics part of the time and have learned to enjoy them as well, selectively. I like the tobacco forward ones where the tobacco flavor predominates.
Had that experience with We three kings, which turned me off, don't mind the 1-Q it's great for public smoking when you do not want to offend but rather entice.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I haven't tried it yet. I did buy 4oz out of curiosity but have jarred it for now.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I find it funny that nobody seems to like the best selling tobacco. So my question is whether folks are ashamed to admit they smoke the maligned aromatics out loud or do the folks who follow this forum have strange palates that do not reflect the vast pipe smoking community in the wild?

Reactions: burleybreath

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I really, really wanted to like it but it’s just lacking too much in nicotine. The aroma of this stuff is amazing and pretty much the reason why I wanted to smoke a pipe in the first place. I tried to like it on several different occasions but in the end it works best as a potpourri (for me).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I find it funny that nobody seems to like the best selling tobacco. So my question is whether folks are ashamed to admit they smoke the maligned aromatics out loud or do the folks who follow this forum have strange palates that do not reflect the vast pipe smoking community in the wild?
I think the people that smoke this regularly, are not the type to visit forums such as this. They just smoke their blend and go about their day. Of course there are people on these forums that do like it but it mainly attracts a different type of pipe smoker.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I think the people that smoke this regularly, are not the type to visit forums such as this. They just smoke their blend and go about their day. Of course there are people on these forums that do like it but it mainly attracts a different type of pipe smoker.
So you opt for the second choice. That means that this forum self selects out for certain types of tobacco smokers. I think you are correct, and I find this interesting. I bet the pipe selection is also outside the norm as well.