PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I ordered some Squadron Leader months ago. I read good reviews about it, and the name actually grabbed me, as silly as that sounds. :lol:
I've tried it several times, and it just never really appealed tome. I've learned however, to give all tobaccos a few chances. So many variables come into play: what you've eaten, your mood, the environment, climate, if you're wearing pants or not, etc.
Tonight, I figured it out. This stuff is the perfect blend for a straight bulldog, on a cold, rainy night. I sat under the porch in the dark, in a short sleeved shirt, low 50's, windy, fierce downpour....and it was like Heaven. I might just have to repeat before bedtime!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Glad you found it worth your while. I enjoyed my first bowl of SL, then all the bowls afterward were less than spectacular. Too many others out there to sample rather than keep trying to hold on to this one. Enjoy that second bowl.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Tonight, I figured it out. This stuff is the perfect blend for a straight bulldog, on a cold, rainy night. I sat under the porch in the dark, in a short sleeved shirt, low 50's, windy, fierce downpour....and it was like Heaven."
Listening to Eddie Rabbitt I'll bet!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ebt0BR5wHYs

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I never could get to liking SL. I like lat blends, read good reviews, and thought this would be awesome. Like you, I even liked the name. But, I found SL to have a soapy taste that I could not get past. And, I did try. I finished the tin. It wasn't so bad that I had to toss it, but I like other lat blends much better. Taste is a personal thing, so I'm glad that it is working out for you.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The one and only time I had SL it reminded me of when I got a mouthful of Sauve hair conditioner.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I bought a fair bit of both Dunhill EMP and SG Squadron Leader at the same time several years ago, thinking they should be fairly similar. I like the Squadron Leader well enough but still have some of the original order. EMP turned out to be on of my favorite tobaccos and I've had to buy many more tins since. I like to start my days off with a big cup of good coffee and EMP; nothing finer!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'd give the SL a go if I got the chance, but I sure loves me that EMP! As my tin runs low I'm about to try me some of the Froggies, probably starting with FMOTB.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've never before read anyone saying that there was soap, or some such taste contaminant, in Squadron Leader. Could be the Lakeland version of what would normally be a fine latakia mixture?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I love it when the magic happens. Have to say I never experienced any kind of soapiness with SL. However, as others have said, I have found other lat blends since that I like better. (and are cheaper to boot)

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Tonight, I figured it out. This stuff is the perfect blend for a straight bulldog, on a cold, rainy night. I sat under the porch in the dark, in a short sleeved shirt, low 50's, windy, fierce downpour....and it was like Heaven.
Sounds like a chore :)
If I had to wait for the stars to align in order to enjoy a specific blend, I'd rather move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.