PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
"High quality" and "low quality" in briar have to do with the evenness of the grain, the care taken in the curing process, and other factors. Sand pits and other little flaws can show up in the highest-grade blocks. So yes, rustication is often used to hide aesthetic flaws. It can be used to hide deeper flaws, but a reputable pipemaker isn't likely to try to pass off a pipe that's cracked or patched and then rusticated.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have sandblasted and rusticated pipes but the majority of my pipes are smooths. I understand the nice feel of a nicely blasted pipe and also love a nicely rusticated pipe that blends with areas of smooth finishings. I also appreciate that regardless of the grade of the briar, all can have hidden flaws, even grade 1.
My lack of understanding is simply this, how can a flawed block of briar (finished product) fetch the same price as a pipe made from a high quality block of unflawed briar, regardless of how the artesian finishing is on the pipe, (ie. smooth, blast or rustication).

Status
Not open for further replies.