PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
In my brief return to pipe smoking (the first tour was about a year, so it probably shouldn't even count), I am learning that, as in many things in life, I don't know jack diddly.
I have tried about a dozen different tobaccos this go-round. Some were instant attraction, some were the opposite.
What I am slowly realizing is that there most probably isn't a bad tobacco. I think the pleasure, or lack thereof, derived from each tobacco depends highly on the food you just ate, the drink you're pairing it with, the weather, the pipe you're using, and your mood. Heck, whether or not you've been laid in the past week probably even factors in. :lol:
I recently ordered some Louisiana Red, and there was nothing at all about that first bowl that was enjoyable....from the scent to the taste. But, being the fair person I am, I decided to wait a couple weeks, and try it again. This time, I smoked it in my Peterson, immediately following a meal of (very, very hot) habanero pork tenderloin. I paired it with a bold cabernet, and it was so delightful, I actually smoked a second bowl before the pipe had even cooled down. I'm glad I gave it a second chance!
So, I am eating a little crow and learning more as my hobby develops. :oops:

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Ranger, we're all learning -- and I've been at this for almost 60 years! But that's the fun of the hobby. Enjoy!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Do any of us real know jack? Many times I'll smoke something,hate it. Give it a month or so and go back, and the angels start to sing.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Looks like you stumbled upon a favorite of mine ... love that Louisiana Red!
Congrats and good luck with the next "chase"! :puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Ranger: Your third paragraph indicates that you are learning quickly. An open and curious mind is an important key to enjoying the pipe.
I've been on the pipe long enough that I am pretty set in my taste in tobaccos and what I like in a pipe. You have the whole experience in front of you.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Glad to hear that you give a baccy a second chance.
I have done that as well over my 40 years of puffing and sometimes been surprised by the improvement.
Nonetheless, some tobacco never gets better...

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
Congrats on your discovery Ranger, but what that post really makes me want is a habanero pork tenderloin and cabernet....sounds delicious.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I feel as though I'm always learning and my tastes keep changing in weird ways. Just a few months ago I could not smoke enough Navy Flake. Now, I'm addicted to aros mixed with high nic burley blends.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I've smoked a pipe for 44+ years. Everytime I light up I wonder what I'm forgetting to do. You've found the right place for questions and multiple responses. Let the journey begin . . .

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If it weren't for this forum, I'd probably think that I knew everything. Probably means I should stay here. Enjoy the ride into obsession!

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Every one of us knows a little piece of pipe smoking very well but struggle with other aspects of the hobby constantly. This is where this forum helps in that we can share what we know as individuals thus learning and growing as a community. As long as your willing to learn then you will be rewarded with an abundance information and joyous smoking pleasure. Keep it up.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
My favorite is smoking something .. saying yuck .. and then craving it later.
Reminds me of my love for raw oysters. .. Go figure.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I think Socrates said it best, so I will paraphrase, The more I learn, the more I realize that I know nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.