PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
I had read many a great review of 1Q and I do seem to enjoy the odd aro, so I ordered a couple of ounces of Lane's offering. It was the first bowl of tobacco that I had to dump half way through. It was so sickly sweet that it was starting to turn my stomach. My wife and my friends two daughters LOVED the aroma as I was smoking but even that seemed overpowering to me.
Am I alone? I am a little surprised at how highly spoke of this tobacco seems to be.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
1Q can arguably claim to be the #1 blend sold in the USA. It certainly has its fans. Interestingly, many of the comments I have read about it don't claim an overly sweet cast to it. I've had it and it didn't do anything for me to want a second bowl. It could be that your taste buds are very sensitive to whatever is in it. I get the sense that the vanilla casing is applied lightly but to each his own.

Good luck on your other aro persuits. I'm sure that there's something ot there that you'll like.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
No youre not alone, theres others that dislike it. I for one do like it quite a bit. Tho I dont find it overly sweet, and I dont like overly sweet tobaccos...hmm to each his own

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I've had quite a bit of the stuff, and yes I am a 100% Aro smoker. I really like the flavor but on the other hand, I also like Captain Black white, which is sticky and gooey. I expected to hate it but actually like it quite a bit. This is in the category of "different stokes for different folks". When I tried the HH Mature Virginia, I almost couldnt get through it I hated it so much. But I have it a 3-bowl try. Gave most of it away but I saved some for next year in case my taste changes. Haven't really enjoyed the English blends either.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
1q is a very mild aro. It has a very neutral taste to almost none at all. Its good for palate cleansing when testing many blends. I have never heard of anyone saying its overly sweet, but it does have a very room filling aroma for lack of a better word. While its not top on my list I do smoke it from time to time. Mostly when I cant make up my mind on what I do want. Because my wife smokes it nearly exclusively, there is always some around.

I would hate to see ya try something really sweet like Blue Note. Like someone else suggested you may have a sensativity to the topping in this case.
I hear ya on the Virginia........vomitrotious..........Now that tasted like cheap cigarettes and bitterness. I shipped that crap to someone else who appearantly likes the taste of old, bitter, stale, urinal cigarettes. I nearly threw the whole pipe out rather than clean it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm in your camp, hemsworth. I gave 1-Q a fair shot, but I couldn't get past a half bowl of the stuff.

One owes it to one's self to try something as popular as 1-Q, however.

If we all had the same taste there wouldn't be thousands of blends on the market.

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
I asked because I tend to find some level of enjoyment in anything that I smoke, be it pipe tobacco or cigars. I do seem to detect a level of sweetness in almost every tobacco (except Old Dark Fired) so maybe my palette is overly sensitive to the sweeter stuff.

Dec 24, 2012
I bought 4 oz when I was new to pipes, and I had the same reaction, but my wife loves the smell and wants me to smoke it (or other aros) when we go for walks. While still not my favourite, what I do is dilute the 1Q or other Aro half and half with Carter Hall. She still gets the aroma she likes and I get something resembling a real smoke. I don't do this often but it works for those moments when I need to smoke any are

Dec 24, 2012
I bought 4 oz when I was new to pipes, and I had the same reaction, but my wife loves the smell and wants me to smoke it (or other aros) when we go for walks. While still not my favourite, what I do is dilute the 1Q or other Aro half and half with Carter Hall. She still gets the aroma she likes and I get something resembling a real smoke. I don't do this often but it works for those moments when I need to smoke any aro

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Personally I prefer Captain Black Royal to 1Q, I know I'm likely to get lambasted for this, but I find that its not as sweet and that the vanilla flavour comes through better in the CBR. You have to dry CBR out for a good week or two to get it smokeable (ok a bit of an exaggeration) but once it's dried I find it much more flavourful the 1Q. I have tried Peck's suggestion of CH & CBR or 1Q 50/50 and it does cut the sweetness quite a bit.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I'm in your camp, hemsworth. I gave 1-Q a fair shot, but I couldn't get past a half bowl of the stuff
:rofl: The words "fair shot" and "half bowl" don't seem to square. Maybe its just me but I need to smoke a few bowls of anything to know if I like it. Could be other tobacco left over in the bowl, could be something I ate that affected my taste buds, etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a well-balanced English blend as well as anything, but I also like Q-1, and prefer LL-7, which

is perhaps a bit sweeter. A large minority (?) of Forums folks don't even smoke aros.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I love Latakia, the wife hates it. I have smoked some 1Q and the wife quite likes it, so I smoke it when she is around, so I don't "smoke her out". I have recently acquired some walnut tobacco, so I am going to try combining the two to see how that works. Personally, I don't mind 1Q, but it is not anything overly special for me to smoke and it seems to have more flavour than CH.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I smoke it only as a courtesy to non smokers when I am forced to smoke amongst them.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Am I alone?

You are not alone, just not in the majority.

I generally don't care for aros much, with the exception of 1-Q. I like it.

I smoke it only as a courtesy to non smokers when I am forced to smoke amongst them.

I smoke 1-Q whenever I am out in public. I almost always get compliments on how good my pipe smells. Good PR.

I save the latakia blends or Old Dark Fired for when I am alone on the boat.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Part of the problem is you may not be drying it out enough before smoking. I recently got some more 1-Q, it didn't require a lot of drying time, but it definitely needed some before it stopped tasting fowl. To me wet tobacco just doesn't taste very good. I seem to see the biggest difference in flakes, when they are too wet, they are like smoking wet dog hair. Wet 1-Q is like smoking green grass from the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.