PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papapauly

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
Hello all,

I am a new member here and hopefully someone can help me out. I typically smoke cobs, I know cobs well as far as how and when to clean them up but I recently decided to try some briar pipes, several of the p&c basket pipes as well as a Dr. Grabow Omega. No matter what type pipe cleaner I use I cannot get it to go through to the bowl of the omega pipe. It has à nasty clog or something because the draw isn't clean anymore. I can manage to clear every other bent pipe I own except the omega, any advise on how to fix this? Thanks in advance for any help

papapauly

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
At the bowl, I can get the pipe cleaner 90% of the way down and then it is stuck right where bowl and stem meet

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"stuck right where bowl and stem meet "
Have you not taken the stem off at all? The Omega accepts a filter, is one in there? A lot of room for gunk, take the stem off and clean it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Like the Monk said,lots of room in the shank of an Omega. Also the airway drilling is at a different angle than the mortise. The Omega's are drilled a lot like the Peterson system pipes,they have a small "well" at the bottom of the mortise.Remove the stem and use Q-tips to clean the "well" and holding your tongue just right- a pipe cleaner through the airway.

https://pipedia.org/images/thumb/9/95/System1.jpg/400px-System1.jpg

papapauly

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
I did not explain that well, it has the military bit and the bit is removed when I try to clean it, it is the briar stem not the bit where I am stuck, it is apart when I clean it

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Can you take a picture or something? Having trouble visualizing what you're trying to convey. The "Briar stem" is the problem? You mean shank?....

papapauly

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
Yes, the shank, thank you for giving me the correct term. At the bottom of the shank the pipe cleaner will not go into the bowl, and it did when I first started smoking the pipe,

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I did not explain that well, it has the military bit and the bit is removed when I try to clean it, it is the briar stem not the bit where I am stuck, it is apart when I clean it
Take a good look at that photo I posted and you'll see how your pipe is drilled. It can be quite tricky to get a pipe cleaner through the airway of the bowl. You may just be hitting the bottom of the well. Sometimes ( on any pipe that is clogged) it may help to run a pipe cleaner through from the bottom of the bowl instead of going through the shank.

papapauly

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
Thanks for the help everybody, I appreciate the help.....Were I a bit more up to speed on terminology this might have gone a bit smoother! Now I'm off to try all the tricks on this page until the pipe smokes right again

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ejames, I had no idea that Dr. Grabow Omegas were drilled like Peterson systems pipes. That is really intriguing. papapauli's pipe seems to be jammed with something, probably a piece of tobacco or stem, or waded pipe cleaner fluff (unlikely). Seems like this is fairly rare, since these pipes have tremendous sales and yet not so many complaints that I know of. I have only the Royaltons, a bent bulldog and an "apple" that looks to me more like a prince shape. I've never had any problem with them, but I suspect they do not have the chambered drilling. I learn something every time I read Forums.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
If I had such a clog and had no luck with everything mentioned, I might go to the air compressor in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.