12 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
When as a kid we'd go to a school dance, there were always an immature group to girls in the corner gossiping about such and such's dress or date. A group of immature guys in another corner bad mouthing this and that about Bill, Bob, and Ted, while many are more interesting in appealing to the opposite sex and dancing and having fun, ignoring what is going on in the corners. Maybe all of this is just the corner of the dance. Immature pipemakers who don't know how to appeal to the dancers.

Anyways, I'm a dancer. I have my favorite pipe makers, and these guys just aren't attracting me. But, screw them, there are plenty of great pipemakers that do know how to tango, give me the warm and fuzzies when we make the transaction. Once the pipe is on the rack, I don't think much about the maker beyond that. It's all about the music.

tyler

Lurker
Sep 9, 2012
Edmond, OK
As a pipe maker, this conversation is dangerous to wade into. I do not want to be misunderstood and develop some sort of negative reputation. Never the less, I am going to make a comment.
The discussion on Pipe Makers Forum (PMF) was not about losing sales to other pipe makers. It was about a means to protect customers and the craft. Words could have been better chosen, no doubt, but the heart of the conversation was benevolent. That's not how everyone here reads it, and that's the nature of such conversations. You might also not agree that the customer or craft needs protection. Many have extrapolated from a discussion describing the need to protect customers as a statement that pipe makers think customers are stupid. That just isn't fair, and is not what is meant at all.
If you'll indulge me, let me try to explain. Let me start by pointing out that many of the people in the PMF thread make a living making pipes. (For the record, I do not make a living by anything tobacco pipe related.) This isn't a casual conversation for them. This is feed-their-family serious. With that in mind, think about how you make your living. You are an expert at that subject, relative to the rest of the population. Let's say you are a welder. You've done what it takes to become a pipeline welder. You have the training and experience to pass all necessary tests. Your work gets inspect by trained inspectors every day. Your welds get X-rayed for internal flaws that might compromise an otherwise aesthetically fine weld. Everything you do is scrutinized. Now, let's say your brother-in-law takes up welding as a side thing. (Maybe you even taught him a few welding basics to get him started.) And he starts by making fences for people. Good for him, no big deal. You see his work, and it's crappy as can be. Most people aren't fluent enough in the nuances of welding to see exactly what you see, but it's very elementary work. It's not excellent, it's sloppy. The fence isn't square, and the welds are messy. It holds the fence together and has decent paint though, so he continues. After his first fence, a neighbor sees the fence and hires him for theirs. Good for him. In casual conversation you find out he's charging $120/hr. WTH, you think, as a tested and certified welder in a life-critical application, you get $80/hr.. Now, of course, you could switch to welding fences for $120/hr, but you'd feel like you were screwing people. It would be unethical to you, and you feel bad for people who don't realize that for $80/hr that could get a lot better job for less money.
So you're probably not a welder, but think of what you do. Have you seen people buy what you do for a lot more than they need to for the quality they are getting and it bother you? If people only saw what you see, they could save a lot of money But they don't see, not like you do, because they just don't have the experience you do in the field.
That's what's going on. Like it or not, think it's arrogant or not, some pipe makers are worried that customers are getting screwed, and that bothers them. To make it more bothersome, they fear getting screwed will turn people away from pipes. That thins the pool of the pipe makers' livelihood, and that's disturbing.
Something important to note, the price disparity I used in my example is often not accurate. Lots of those concerned pipe makers sell their stuff for a lot more than the "turds" get. It's not a $120/hr -v- $80/hr issue. Rather, to extend my metaphor a bit, the concerned welder might make $200/hr, but it still bothers them to see someone charge $120/hr for shoddy work, again, because they care about the customer and the craft.
Now, if you go scrutinize that thread on PMF, you can probably find a comment or two by some guys that is, or sounds like sour grapes. Not everyone over there agrees, and so I can't possibly represent what everyone is thinking, but I do think my comments are fair to the spirit of what most pipe makers I know think about this conversation.
I also want to note that I personally hold no grudge against hobby-ist Instagram sales wizards. Heck, I'm basically one of them. They are free as can be to do what they do ( maybe I should say what we instead of they). The hope is not to stop anyone from selling their wares, rather it is to figure out how to help the collector get exactly what they deserve for their money.
I say all this in hopes that you will not write off a group of guys that are passionate about pipes, do some of the best work in the world, and want their customers to always get a square deal.
Having said all that, I will quickly mention that I belive the process of buying a pipe is about buying an experience as much as it is a pipe, but that is a topic for a different thread. It does, though, have bearing on this conversation, and speaks to why lesser-crafted pipes might be "worth" more than an objective quality standard might suggest.
So much for me saying I don't want to defend anything, I guess. :) Thanks for indulging me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I firmly believe in the right of people to act in a stupid manner. Buying a "turd" pipe may offend some, but the turd buyer is simply exercising his right to purchase what he desires. If the buyer learns from his mistake, fine. If not, that is also fine.
The only mistake Todd made was in his choice of soapbox and words. He has acknowledged this, rather politely I think, and I know of no way he can atone for his errors. Well, he did offer up some pipes I believe. I do not think anyone needs to be an apologists for Todd, neither does his "crime" warrant four pages.
Although I am now only 73 posts away from 2000. Which means that I have entirely too much time on my hands these days and really must get a life!

tyler

Lurker
Sep 9, 2012
Edmond, OK
Warren,
I was not trying to defend Todd, per se, and certainly not the way he expressed himself. I was trying to give clarity on the thread at PMF (of which Todd was certainly a part). One of the challenges of this thread is that some are talking about Todd, some are talking about the thread at PMF, and some are just speaking in generalities.
Never the less, I agree with you. Everyone has the right to buy or sell what they like.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
tyler: I was not directing my answer at your post. This is indeed a thread that has unraveled into many smaller threads. I took the side of the "turd" buyers as this is the way I learned pipe smoking. I had no mentor and, I am wired to learn faster from my mistakes, not the from instruction of others.

This is what gets me the most, ha ha, :::puff puff on this crack thread, ha ha::: there men who start off with Grabows and Missouri Meerschaums and smoke their pies for decades, only those brands. So, what are these pipes doing that is so bad that it would drive off a new smoker? Are they lower than Dr Grabows (please excuse me Grabow brothers) in quality? Do these pipes hurt people? Do they break when you pack them? Welding, electrical, and plumbing stuff, I can see a need for regulations. But, pipes?
I get the standards most of us who collect for smoking or investment all deem nice in an artisan pipe. I also know that most factory mades don't meet these standards. But, we all don't agree on exactly what we look for in a pipe. Pipe makers in cliquish forums don't speak for me and what seams as value. It may just be that I want a thriving market that hits my bullet points for a great pipe. Probably not, but we are all different. I can appreciate all aspects of this hobby. The guy making monster pipes that can't really be smoked. The guy making carved sailor heads. The entire maker isn't based on Rad Davis, Todd, Tinsky, and that whole genre. Even in art, not everyone can have a Picasso. There are those who collect beach scenes and duck prints. And someone who makes paintings of mailboxes or fruit gets as much money as a Picasso, then fantastic!!!
This is I meant earlier about this being a class thing.

Mar 1, 2014
While we're being candid.

I've noticed a disturbing trend in modern craftsmanship. This is the third time that I've picked up a hobby, looked at the average product, researched and bought a few high end examples, and discovered that every maker out there is going to either ignorantly or purposefully ignore one aspect or another of quality control.

It seems like as soon as anyone starts doing something for money they shut off a part of their brain and start ignoring things that as an enthusiast they would never have accepted.

To take the concept being put forward by Todd and take it a step further, I think all craftsmen in every industry are doing a pretty lousy job right now, and they all need to step up their game.
Along those lines, value for money, you do not always get what you pay for. I have seen no good reason to believe that my Cobs should perform any worse than the most expensive, exclusive, or highly praised pipe ever made.

Can Briarworks make a better pipe than the next guy? Probably, but the bar is sitting pretty low.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
The discussion on Pipe Makers Forum (PMF) was not about losing sales to other pipe makers. It was about a means to protect customers and the craft. Words could have been better chosen, no doubt, but the heart of the conversation was benevolent. That's not how everyone here reads it, and that's the nature of such conversations.
I am a teacher, and as such, I always stress out the importance of communication strategies. Say for example that John, who is a horrible student, never does his homework, plays up in the class and is always falling short of all expectations. When you write a note to his parents as a teacher, you don´t say things like "John is a horrible student, not only he plays up during the lessons and bothers other students, but that..." Instead, something down these lines will do just as fine: I have noticed John has not been doing his homework of late. I would expect from someone with his capabilities to pay more attention in the class to reach his full potential as a student. He has very good social skills, so I would expect from him more care with.... (bla, bla, bla).

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
"Volevo fumare, e ho tirato fuori la pipa. C'est la merde"
...Loosely translated from Italian- "I wanted to smoke and pulled out the pipe- It was a turd"... :twisted:

tyler

Lurker
Sep 9, 2012
Edmond, OK
cosmicfolklore,
If I may address some of your concerns:
This is what gets me the most, ha ha, :::puff puff on this crack thread, ha ha::: there men who start off with Grabows and Missouri Meerschaums and smoke their pies for decades, only those brands. So, what are these pipes doing that is so bad that it would drive off a new smoker? Are they lower than Dr Grabows (please excuse me Grabow brothers) in quality? Do these pipes hurt people? Do they break when you pack them? Welding, electrical, and plumbing stuff, I can see a need for regulations. But, pipes?
The difference is a Grabow costs $12 and a cob $6.. This is not about everyone smoking high quality pipes. It's about getting a high quality pipe if you pay high-quality dollars.
Also, no one is talking about regulating anything.
I get the standards most of us who collect for smoking or investment all deem nice in an artisan pipe. I also know that most factory mades don't meet these standards. But, we all don't agree on exactly what we look for in a pipe. Pipe makers in cliquish forums don't speak for me and what seams as value. It may just be that I want a thriving market that hits my bullet points for a great pipe. Probably not, but we are all different. I can appreciate all aspects of this hobby. The guy making monster pipes that can't really be smoked. The guy making carved sailor heads. The entire maker isn't based on Rad Davis, Todd, Tinsky, and that whole genre. Even in art, not everyone can have a Picasso. There are those who collect beach scenes and duck prints. And someone who makes paintings of mailboxes or fruit gets as much money as a Picasso, then fantastic!!!
I totally agree.
This is I meant earlier about this being a class thing.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I'll reiterate, this is not about people being inferior or some obligation to like only high end pipes. It's about getting what you pay for.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I think all craftsmen in every industry are doing a pretty lousy job right now, and they all need to step up their game.
Wow, guess I'm a pretty good con artist. Got these folks to cough up six grand for these turds.

tyler

Lurker
Sep 9, 2012
Edmond, OK
Trout face,
I'm pretty sure those aren't turds. :)
Cool stuff. Nice work!
Can you relate to this conversation from the perspective of fine furniture craft?

We've got growing pains in the jewelry world too, with people who've never even set a stone designing digatal jewelry and sending them off to 3D printers. Some are wailing about it. Some complain about the craft show jeweler's, but for the most part, the successful ones don't gather around burning barrels with other bored jeweler's to bitch and complain. The successful ones keep their noses in their own workbench... or come here on this forum instead, ha ha!!!
It's not my place to fix what the rest of the world is doing in my field. I do my thing, and I have my folks who appreciate what I do. Not everyone will like what I do also. But, I keep my head in my business and deal with what's on my plate. I notice that jeweler's that spend a lot of time with students or newbies usually don't get much else done. They usually end up writing books and teaching classes, but not really ever get busy making. They never accomplish doing what they like to talk about. IMO

Dec 24, 2012
I know some may disagree with me as to how good a cheap old corncob smokes. I guess a guy could always do a blind folded smoke-off test (commonly known as a BFSOT) between a cob and a high-end briar pipe and see if the smoker can identify which is which. Which further raises the question ..how much better does a pipe smoke on looks alone?
Why use a pipe at all? Just plop the tobacco in your cupped hand and light it up.
Seriously though, if you think that a cob pipe smokes as well as a properly made briar pipe then all I can do is shake my head and say, more power to you my friend.
Dig that hat by the way. Wish I had one like that to smoke with my cob - and yes, I do have a cob and know full well how they smoke.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I'll set up a test booth at a pipe show. Cob versus TJ's top dog pipe. Pay per view it too.
I always wanted to do something similar and have people pick out tobacco blends. I did this once with a few people who thought they could pick out different beers. They all failed terribly. Bu then again, I have strange friends...much like me.

tyler

Lurker
Sep 9, 2012
Edmond, OK
Cosmicfolklore,
I think your stance on the jewelry situation is a wise one. You might be surprised to learn I advocate essentially the same thing in the PMF thread. In other words, I totally agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.